* a repeater doesn't increment
@ 2021-07-20 19:41 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-07-20 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am likely doing this wrong but will describe what has been done.
I put an agenda time stamp into a field in test.org and add +4w to the end
of the time stamp inside the >.
I get on the left of the field column on the vertical character and type
control-space to set mark.
I move to the end of the field on the > sign and type space and another
vertical to close the column entry for that field.
Next I do control-c+x+v and am told strings are copied to the kill ring.
Next I move down one line and type control-y to yank those strings out of
the kill buffer and paste them on that line.
When this is done, I expected the time stamp to increment by 4 weeks.
What happened was the same information got copied down and it didn't
increment.
What am I doing wrong?

* Re: a repeater doesn't increment
@ 2021-07-22  1:47 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-07-22  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Does enough material exist on werg tutorials that document how to get a
repeater operational?  That or maybe I don't understand repeaters.  Had
the repeater I tried to use worked correctly it would have advanced the
original date by 4 weeks when that date got copied down to another cell.
I selected the whole line including both verticals and perhaps this works
when only a time stamp is copied.

@ 2021-07-22  8:49   ` Henrik Frisk
From: Henrik Frisk @ 2021-07-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi!

Den tors 22 juli 2021 03:49Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> skrev:

> Does enough material exist on werg tutorials that document how to get a
> repeater operational?  That or maybe I don't understand repeaters.  Had
> the repeater I tried to use worked correctly it would have advanced the
> original date by 4 weeks when that date got copied down to another cell.
> I selected the whole line including both verticals and perhaps this works
> when only a time stamp is copied.

Check out this explanation:

https://karl-voit.at/2017/01/15/org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift/

I find it helpful and most of the time i prefer to use the
org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift function as it gives me more control. In
general, the date notation (+1w) is intended for the agenda wiew.

Hope it helps,
/Henrik

* Re: a repeater doesn't increment
@ 2021-07-22 12:36     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-07-22 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Frisk; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi, thanks this approach should work fine!

@ 2021-07-22 21:12   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-07-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> Does enough material exist on werg tutorials that document how to get a
> repeater operational?  That or maybe I don't understand repeaters.  Had
> the repeater I tried to use worked correctly it would have advanced the
> original date by 4 weeks when that date got copied down to another cell.
> I selected the whole line including both verticals and perhaps this works
> when only a time stamp is copied.

I may be misunderstanding, but are you trying to fill a column in a table
with dates that are four weeks apart? If so, repeaters have nothing to do
with it (AFAIK). You need `org-table-copy-increment' to be set to 28.

| date             | foo |
|------------------+-----|
| <2021-07-22 Thu> |     |
| <2021-08-19 Thu> |     |
| <2021-09-16 Thu> |     |
| <2021-10-14 Thu> |     |
| <2021-11-11 Thu> |     |
| <2021-12-09 Thu> |     |

* Code

#+begin_src elisp
(setq-local org-table-copy-increment 28)

#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 28

Then keep pressing `S-RET' to get the next date.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: a repeater doesn't increment
@ 2021-07-23  3:08     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-07-23  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

What I'm trying to do is more complex than that.
* Reorder pills
** TODO order hctz, lisinipril, metformin, provacol, claritin, Co-q10,
   Deadline: <8-2-2021 +4w>
** TODO order Colase
   Deadline: <10-13-2021 +14w>
** TODO order Turmerick
   Deadline: <8-30-2021 +8w>

@ 2021-07-27 15:57       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-07-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> What I'm trying to do is more complex than that.
> * Reorder pills
> ** TODO order hctz, lisinipril, metformin, provacol, claritin, Co-q10,
>    Deadline: <8-2-2021 +4w>
> ** TODO order Colase
>    Deadline: <10-13-2021 +14w>
> ** TODO order Turmerick
>    Deadline: <8-30-2021 +8w>
>
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
>> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:
>>
>> > Does enough material exist on werg tutorials that document how to get a
>> > repeater operational?  That or maybe I don't understand repeaters.  Had
>> > the repeater I tried to use worked correctly it would have advanced the
>> > original date by 4 weeks when that date got copied down to another cell.
>> > I selected the whole line including both verticals and perhaps this works
>> > when only a time stamp is copied.

I still don't understand: in your most recent response (at the top of this thread)
you are talking about headlines with DEADLINE added (which seems the right approach
to me: is there a problem with it?) But in your original mail, as well as in the followup, you are
taling about "field columns" and "vertical characters" and "cop[ying] down to another cell",
which seems to imply that you have an Org mode table somewhere.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit?
--

@ 2021-07-27 16:55         ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-07-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

I couldn't figure a way to make the field columns work for this many
different items.