* How to have a sideways longtable?
@ 2017-01-20 21:56 William Denton
       [not found] ` <720c4751267e48448e769a970d7f28d3@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: William Denton @ 2017-01-20 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a long and wide table of text I'd like to have sideways (landscape
orientation) and stretch over multiple pages.  I can do either one but not both
together.

Here's a gist with a long, wide table:

https://gist.github.com/wdenton/f11acf2e5257b29789f806b854d0709e

If you take that and export it to LaTeX it will be long (on two pages) but not
sideways, with some columns are cut off on the right---the float is being
ignored, it seems.

Using the float on its own does work, and this appears in the output:

\begin{sidewaystable}[htbp]

But when the longtable is there, it's just this without any sidewaystable:

\begin{longtable}{rrllllll}

Is this a bug?  I assumed they'd work together out of the box, but maybe I need
to do something special.

Bill
--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada :: https://www.miskatonic.org/
Caveat lector.

* Re: How to have a sideways longtable?
@ 2017-01-20 22:29 ` John Hendy
       [not found] ` <720c4751267e48448e769a970d7f28d3@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: John Hendy @ 2017-01-20 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM, William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:
> I have a long and wide table of text I'd like to have sideways (landscape
> orientation) and stretch over multiple pages.  I can do either one but not
> both together.
>
> Here's a gist with a long, wide table:
>
> https://gist.github.com/wdenton/f11acf2e5257b29789f806b854d0709e
>
> If you take that and export it to LaTeX it will be long (on two pages) but
> not sideways, with some columns are cut off on the right---the float is
> being ignored, it seems.
>
> Using the float on its own does work, and this appears in the output:
>
> \begin{sidewaystable}[htbp]
>
> But when the longtable is there, it's just this without any sidewaystable:
>
> \begin{longtable}{rrllllll}
>
> Is this a bug?  I assumed they'd work together out of the box, but maybe I
> need to do something special.

I'm not sure what version of org I was using at the time (2014), but
knew I'd done this. This might not be exactly what you wanted, but I
just used landscape instead of sideways table and know it worked:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{lscape}

#+latex: \begin{landscape}
#+latex: \tiny
#+attr_latex: :align llll|llllll|lllllll|lll :env longtable
| table | goes | here |
#+latex: \end{landscape}

Like I said, that was old, so some of the syntax would be different
(like #+begin_export latex / #+end_export) but it's what I had on hand
to send quick!

John

@ 2017-01-20 22:34   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-01-20 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 20 Jan 2017 at 22:29, John Hendy wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM, William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:
>> I have a long and wide table of text I'd like to have sideways (landscape
>> orientation) and stretch over multiple pages.  I can do either one but not
>> both together.

[...]

> I'm not sure what version of org I was using at the time (2014), but
> knew I'd done this. This might not be exactly what you wanted, but I
> just used landscape instead of sideways table and know it worked:
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{lscape}
>
> #+latex: \begin{landscape}
> #+latex: \tiny
>
> #+attr_latex: :align llll|llllll|lllllll|lll :env longtable
> | table | goes | here |
>
> #+latex: \end{landscape}

This still works.  I use exactly this and it works with latest org.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.3-241-gc3d67b

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to have a sideways longtable?
@ 2017-01-26 15:10   ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2017-01-26 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 20 January 2017, John Hendy wrote:

> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{lscape}
>
> #+latex: \begin{landscape}
> #+latex: \tiny
> #+attr_latex: :align llll|llllll|lllllll|lll :env longtable
> | table | goes | here |
> #+latex: \end{landscape}

I'm several days late, but: thank you!  This works perfectly.

Bill