* my quick and dirty tutorial for getting started with beamer and org mode
@ 2012-09-08 13:54 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-08 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

  from a totally newbie perspective, i wanted to write a tutorial for
a colleague since we're about to convert all of our linux courseware
from .odp to latex/beamer, so here's what i whipped together for him
this morning:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Using_Beamer_and_org_mode_to_write_slide_shows

if anyone else finds it useful, it's all yours.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: my quick and dirty tutorial for getting started with beamer and org mode
@ 2012-09-08 14:18 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-09-08 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you don't mind, can you post the original odp file, the new org file
and corresponding beamer file as an attachment.

You see.  Links disapper.  They get moved etc, etc.  But mail
attachments stay in the mailing list and the archives.

@ 2012-09-08 14:20   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-08 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012, Jambunathan K wrote:

> If you don't mind, can you post the original odp file, the new org file
> and corresponding beamer file as an attachment.
>
> You see.  Links disapper.  They get moved etc, etc.  But mail
> attachments stay in the mailing list and the archives.
>
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
>
> >   from a totally newbie perspective, i wanted to write a tutorial for
> > a colleague since we're about to convert all of our linux courseware
> > from .odp to latex/beamer, so here's what i whipped together for him
> > this morning:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Using_Beamer_and_org_mode_to_write_slide_shows
> >
> > if anyone else finds it useful, it's all yours.

  let me do some cleanup first, it's still pretty rough as i figured
all that out just this morning.  definitely needs some tidying up.

@ 2012-09-08 14:50 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-08 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   from a totally newbie perspective, i wanted to write a tutorial for
> a colleague since we're about to convert all of our linux courseware
> from .odp to latex/beamer, so here's what i whipped together for him
> this morning:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Using_Beamer_and_org_mode_to_write_slide_shows
>
> if anyone else finds it useful, it's all yours.

Thanks! Very nice indeed.

You say:

   The whole reason I like this mode is that it gives me the chance to
   expand and collapse sections while in emacs -- just go to any
   section/subsection and hit TAB to either expand or collapse
   it. That's the way I write manuals -- work in one place, finish up
   there, close it, move elsewhere, open it up, etc.

I think that pretty soon, you will find a whole lot more reasons to like
it ;-)

Nick

* Re: my quick and dirty tutorial for getting started with beamer and org mode
@ 2012-09-08 15:05   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-08 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>

> >   from a totally newbie perspective, i wanted to write a tutorial for
> > a colleague since we're about to convert all of our linux courseware
> > from .odp to latex/beamer, so here's what i whipped together for him
> > this morning:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Using_Beamer_and_org_mode_to_write_slide_shows
> >
> > if anyone else finds it useful, it's all yours.
> >

> Thanks! Very nice indeed.
>
> You say:
>
>    The whole reason I like this mode is that it gives me the chance to
>    expand and collapse sections while in emacs -- just go to any
>    section/subsection and hit TAB to either expand or collapse
>    it. That's the way I write manuals -- work in one place, finish up
>    there, close it, move elsewhere, open it up, etc.
>
> I think that pretty soon, you will find a whole lot more reasons to like
> it ;-)

  i don't doubt it, i just absolutely need outline mode for anything i
write these days, so i am delighted to have tripped over org-mode.
this latex/beamer/emacs/org mode combination looks like the perfect
solution for me.

  and now, to writing ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca