* Using org-lookup-all to count values in a table column
@ 2013-09-24 17:42 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2013-09-24 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm taking a stab at keeping my reading diary in Org.  I keep track of all
the books I read, and some other facts about them, including whether
they're fiction (F) or nonfiction (N).

So I would have a table something like the books table below, and I'd like
to do some analysis on it and put the results in another table.  I'd like
to count how many books are of Type F and how many of Type N, and it looks
like matching values with org-lookup-all (as explained in [1]) is the
right way, but I can't get it to work.

I have this:

#+TBLNAME: books
| Title            | Author         | Type |
|------------------+----------------+------|
| NOS4A2           | Joe Hill       | F    |
| Gun Machine      | Warren Ellis   | F    |
| Carry On, Jeeves | P.G. Wodehouse | F    |
| Time Reborn      | Lee Smolin     | N    |

#+TBLNAME: analysis
| Fact              | Value |
|-------------------+-------|
| Fiction books     |     1 |
| Nonfiction  books |       |
#+TBLFM: $2@2='(length(org-lookup-all "F" '(remote(books,$3@2..$3@>)) nil))

The fiction count should be 3, not 1.  Can anyone see what I'm doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Bill

[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-lookups.html

--
William Denton
Toronto, Canada

* Re: Using org-lookup-all to count values in a table column
@ 2013-09-25 15:03 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2013-09-25 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For the record I was mailed off-list and it was pointed out I had the
row/column order reversed in my formula.

> #+TBLFM: $2@2='(length(org-lookup-all "F" '(remote(books,$3@2..$3@>)) nil))

Using @2$2 etc makes it all work.

Org spreadsheets are great!

Bill