* Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-07 12:08 Christian Schmidt
From: Christian Schmidt @ 2011-08-07 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  Hi,

  I have got an issue with the column view in the agenda. In version
7.5 I could clean up the column "ITEM" by setting the variable
org-agenda-columns-remove-prefix-from-item.

As far as I understood, this variable is depricated since version 7.6
and the functionality is somehow replaced by the function
org-columns-cleanup-item in the file org-colview.el.

Unfortunately this does not work in the agenda view.

I would like to give a minimal example:

* NEXTACTION [#B] Test					      :Tag:
   SCHEDULED: <2011-08-07 So>

Directly using column view in this buffer via "CTRL-c CTRL-x CTRL-c"
yields to:

NEXTACTION | B | * Test :Tag: | :Tag: | | | 2011-08-07 So |

Like expexted the word "NEXTACTION" and the priority "B" are cleaned
up from the column ITEM. This is the desired behaviour.

When using the agenda view with "CTRL-c CTRL-a L" on this buffer we
get in a seperate buffer:

Sunday      7 August 2011
   Scheduled:  NEXTACTION [#B] Test                         :Tag:

Now I use column view on this agenda via "CTRL-c CTRL-x CTRL-c" and
end up with in the seperate buffer:

NEXTACTION | B | NEXTACTION [#B] Test :Tag: | :Tag: | | | 2011-08-07 So |

Thus we still have the unwanted "NEXTACTION [#B]" in the ITEM-column.

I would really appreciate your help, because this behaviour inhibits
me from using versions 7.6 and later.

Thanks in advance!

Please find below my org-mode configuration.

Best,
Christian

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
  of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Package: Org-mode version 7.7

current state:
==============
(setq
  org-export-latex-after-initial-vars-hook
  '(org-beamer-after-initial-vars)
  org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook
  org-babel-speed-command-hook)
  org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
  org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
  org-export-blocks-postblock-hook '(org-exp-res/src-name-cleanup)
  org-export-latex-format-toc-function
  'org-export-latex-format-toc-default
  org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe
  org-src-native-tab-command-maybe org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe)
  org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
  org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
  org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
  org-export-first-hook '(org-beamer-initialize-open-trackers)
  org-todo-keywords '("NEXTACTION" "WAITING" "MAYBE" "DONE")
  org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
  org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
  org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees
  org-cycle-hide-drawers org-cycle-show-empty-lines
  org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
  org-export-preprocess-before-normalizing-links-hook
  '(org-remove-file-link-modifiers)
  org-mode-hook '((lambda nil (org-add-hook (quote
  change-major-mode-hook) (quote org-show-block-all) (quote append)
  (quote local)))
  	 (lambda nil (org-add-hook (quote change-major-mode-hook)
 	 (quote org-babel-show-result-all) (quote append) (quote
 	 local)))
 		 org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
  org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point
  org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)
  org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
  org-export-interblocks '((lob org-babel-exp-lob-one-liners) (src
  org-babel-exp-inline-src-blocks))
  org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
  org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
  org-from-is-user-regexp nil
  org-export-preprocess-before-selecting-backend-code-hook
  '(org-beamer-select-beamer-code)
  org-columns-default-format "%TODO %PRIORITY %50ITEM %ALLTAGS
  %6Effort{:} %DEADLINE %SCHEDULED"
  org-export-latex-final-hook '(org-beamer-amend-header
  org-beamer-fix-toc org-beamer-auto-fragile-frames
  org-beamer-place-default-actions-for-lists)
  org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
  org-export-blocks '((src org-babel-exp-src-block nil) (comment
  org-export-blocks-format-comment t) (ditaa
  org-export-blocks-format-ditaa nil)
  				     (dot org-export-blocks-format-dot
 				     nil))
  )

* Re: Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-08  6:04 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-08  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Christian,

Christian Schmidt wrote:
>  I have got an issue with the column view in the agenda. In version
> 7.5 I could clean up the column "ITEM" by setting the variable
> org-agenda-columns-remove-prefix-from-item.
>
> As far as I understood, this variable is depricated since version 7.6
> and the functionality is somehow replaced by the function
> org-columns-cleanup-item in the file org-colview.el.
>
> Unfortunately this does not work in the agenda view.
>

> I would like to give a minimal example:
>
> * NEXTACTION [#B] Test					      :Tag:
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-08-07 So>
>
> Directly using column view in this buffer via "CTRL-c CTRL-x CTRL-c"
> yields to:
>
> NEXTACTION | B | * Test :Tag: | :Tag: | | | 2011-08-07 So |
>

> Like expexted the word "NEXTACTION" and the priority "B" are cleaned
> up from the column ITEM. This is the desired behaviour.
>

> When using the agenda view with "CTRL-c CTRL-a L" on this buffer we
> get in a seperate buffer:
>
> Sunday      7 August 2011
>   Scheduled:  NEXTACTION [#B] Test                         :Tag:
>

> Now I use column view on this agenda via "CTRL-c CTRL-x CTRL-c" and
> end up with in the seperate buffer:
>
> NEXTACTION | B | NEXTACTION [#B] Test :Tag: | :Tag: | | | 2011-08-07 So |
>
> Thus we still have the unwanted "NEXTACTION [#B]" in the ITEM-column.

I (would have) thought that, when having a column dedicated for tags, the tag
would as well be removed from the "headline" column (3^rd one, in your
example).

Is there a good reason it's not working like that for the tag as well?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-09 19:43 Christian Schmidt
From: Christian Schmidt @ 2011-08-09 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  Hi Sebastien,

Sebastien wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> I (would have) thought that, when having a column dedicated for
> tags, the tag would as well be removed from the "headline" column
> (3^rd one, in your example).
>
> Is there a good reason it's not working like that for the tag as
>  well?

Talking about version 7.5, you can get rid of the tags in the agenda
view by setting org-agenda-remove-tags to t. But I think that
variable is depricated in version 7.7 as well.

Anyway my original issue is concerning the column view called upon an
agenda view in version 7.7: Unfortunately column view is not cleaning
up the column "ITEM" at all when called upon an agenda view (not only
the tag). But according to the documentation it should clean up the
column "ITEM". But it does not. :-(

Does org-mode clean up the column "ITEM" in the column view when
called upon agenda view in your installation?

Best,
Christian

--
  Christian Schmidt
  mailto: cs@canau.de

* Re: Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-09 20:23 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Christian,

Christian Schmidt wrote:
> Sebastien wrote:
>> I (would have) thought that, when having a column dedicated for
>> tags, the tag would as well be removed from the "headline" column
>> (3^rd one, in your example).
>>
>> Is there a good reason it's not working like that for the tag as
>>  well?
>
> Talking about version 7.5, you can get rid of the tags in the agenda
> view by setting org-agenda-remove-tags to t. But I think that
> variable is depricated in version 7.7 as well.

It still is in my Org, git pulled this morning.

> Anyway my original issue is concerning the column view called upon an
> agenda view in version 7.7: Unfortunately column view is not cleaning
> up the column "ITEM" at all when called upon an agenda view (not only
> the tag). But according to the documentation it should clean up the
> column "ITEM". But it does not. :-(
>
> Does org-mode clean up the column "ITEM" in the column view when
> called upon agenda view in your installation?

Everything seems fine, before and after the timeline (C-c a L).

My ECM:

#+begin_src org
* TODO [#B] Test                                                         :Tag:
  SCHEDULED: <2011-08-07 So>
#+end_src

My config:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-columns-default-format
      "%65ITEM(Task) %TODO %3PRIORITY %TAGS")
#+end_src

The result: http://imgur.com/TAYH5

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-10 18:43 Christian Schmidt
From: Christian Schmidt @ 2011-08-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  Hi Sebastien,

  I found out why the tags are still there in my column view directly
in org-buffer: You are using "TAGS" for the column with the tags. I
am using "ALLTAGS" instead, because I want to see the inherited tags
as well. Unfortunately the column view does not treat the column
ALLTAGS the same way it does treat the column TAGS (another bug?).
When I use TAGS instead, the tag is removed as well, like at yours.
But only when C-c C-x C-c is called directly on the _org-buffer_.

I still got the following issue, even with your configuration:

C-c a L  gives me the following agenda-buffer:

Sonntag     7 August 2011
   Scheduled:  NEXTACTION   [#B] Test
Montag      8 August 2011 W32
Dienstag    9 August 2011
Mittwoch   10 August 2011

Now I invoke in the same buffer, i. e. agenda-buffer, C-c C-x C-c and
get:

NEXTACTION | B | NEXTACTION [#B] Test :Tag: | :Tag: | | | 2011-08-07 So |

Unfortunately still nothing gets cleaned up.

Looking at your screenshot I wonder if the lower buffer does really
show an Org-Agenda buffer after invoking C-c C-x C-c.

I think org-mode is confused with a C-c C-x C-c in the agenda-buffer
that is produced by C-c a L. Org-mode in version 7.5 did cope with
that.

Best,
Christian

--
  Christian Schmidt
  mailto: cs@canau.de

* Re: Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-10 19:49 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-10 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Christian,

Christian Schmidt wrote:
> I found out why the tags are still there in my column view directly
> in org-buffer: You are using "TAGS" for the column with the tags. I
> am using "ALLTAGS" instead, because I want to see the inherited tags
> as well. Unfortunately the column view does not treat the column
> ALLTAGS the same way it does treat the column TAGS (another bug?).
> When I use TAGS instead, the tag is removed as well, like at yours.
> But only when C-c C-x C-c is called directly on the _org-buffer_.

Yes, I did ask for column view on the source Org buffer.

> I still got the following issue, even with your configuration:
>
> C-c a L  gives me the following agenda-buffer:
>
> Sonntag     7 August 2011
>   Scheduled:  NEXTACTION   [#B] Test
> Montag      8 August 2011 W32
> Dienstag    9 August 2011
> Mittwoch   10 August 2011
>
> Now I invoke in the same buffer, i. e. agenda-buffer, C-c C-x C-c and
> get:
>
> NEXTACTION | B | NEXTACTION [#B] Test :Tag: | :Tag: | | | 2011-08-07 So |
>
> Unfortunately still nothing gets cleaned up.
>
> Looking at your screenshot I wonder if the lower buffer does really
> show an Org-Agenda buffer after invoking C-c C-x C-c.

You're right. I did not understand -- maybe read too quickly -- that your
problem was when asking for column view _from the timeline view_.

I just tested it. I get the exact same behavior as the one you describe here;
unfortunately, then, I'm of no help.

Quick question: do you really need to call column view from within a timeline.
Isn't there a workaround to get the same lot of information, without going to
the timeline?  Not sure about your use case...

But, yes, this sounds to me buggy as well. Maybe that's a corner case?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-11 19:26 Christian Schmidt
From: Christian Schmidt @ 2011-08-11 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  Hi Sebastien,

  I do not think, that you are of no help for me. Because you
confirmed the behaviour that is bothering me. Thus it is not a
personal problem of my installation. ;-)

About my use case: I want to get a rich timeline-overview on all my
tasks. This overview makes it easy for me to schedule and rearrange
the tasks for the next days. The normal agenda-view does not show all
information needed, like the inherited tags or the cumulated
estimated effort for each day. I really like that tool.

In any case you helped me very much in clarifying my problem.
Therefore I will try another request to this list: shorter and more
specific. ;-)

Best,
Christian

--
  Christian Schmidt
  mailto: cs@canau.de

* Re: Bug: Column view in the agenda does not clean up ITEM [7.7]
@ 2011-08-17 14:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-17 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Schmidt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian,

Christian Schmidt <cs@canau.de> writes:

> Does org-mode clean up the column "ITEM" in the column view when
> called upon agenda view in your installation?

Cleaning up items was not allowed in org-agenda-mode columns so far.
I have just pushed a change that should fix this.

Thanks a lot for reporting this!

--
 Bastien