* org-mode are these two entries identical for org-mode?
@ 2011-11-07 10:49 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-11-07 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* aptitude install emacs -r
  get emacs text editor.
* aptitude install emacs -r
get emacs text editor.

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
When people ask do you believe in Numerology, the proper reply for me at
least is do you believe in a hammer?  The proper answer for me for both
questions is no, they're both tools and to be used under appropriate
circumstances.

* Re: org-mode are these two entries identical for org-mode?
@ 2011-11-08  9:19 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-11-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I tried an experiment and am glad I didn't save its results!  Results
are that you actually have to indent otherwise, all you have in the file
are the headlines once org-mode sees the file.  I have a newly installed
debian system on the first sata drive I used and I'm using org-mode to
log the  extras I install on the system as well as configuration changes
I make as they happen.

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> * aptitude install emacs -r
>   get emacs text editor.
> * aptitude install emacs -r
> get emacs text editor.
>

> Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
> When people ask do you believe in Numerology, the proper reply for me at
> least is do you believe in a hammer?  The proper answer for me for both
> questions is no, they're both tools and to be used under appropriate
> circumstances.

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
When people ask do you believe in Numerology, the proper reply for me at
least is do you believe in a hammer?  The proper answer for me for both
questions is no, they're both tools and to be used under appropriate
circumstances.

* OT: logging debian system changes (was: Re: org-mode are these two entries identical for org-mode?)
@ 2011-11-08 10:16   ` Olaf Dietsche
From: Olaf Dietsche @ 2011-11-08 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> I tried an experiment and am glad I didn't save its results!  Results
> are that you actually have to indent otherwise, all you have in the file
> are the headlines once org-mode sees the file.  I have a newly installed
> debian system on the first sata drive I used and I'm using org-mode to
> log the  extras I install on the system as well as configuration changes
> I make as they happen.

I don't want to argue you out of org-mode. ;-)

But for logging additional packages, you might look at tasksel(8). If
you create a description file of your packages, you can use this with
tasksel, when you set up a new system.
e.g. /usr/local/share/tasksel/local.desc:

Task: kids
Section: user
 Applications for kids.
Packages: list
 gcompris
 tuxpaint

Task: development
Section: user
 Tools needed for software development.
Packages: list
 emacs23
 emacs23-common-non-dfsg
 bbdb
 emacs-goodies-el
 yasnippet
 git
 gcc
 g++
 gdb
 gdb-doc

Task: net
Section: user
 Packages for networking and internet.
Packages: list
 xul-ext-noscript
 xul-ext-cookie-monster
 dovecot-imapd
 fetchmail

And logging configuration changes could be done with git(1). If you
checkin the base configuration in /etc, /var/lib/... you can always see changes
you made with "git status" and "git diff".

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>
>> * aptitude install emacs -r
>>   get emacs text editor.
>> * aptitude install emacs -r
>> get emacs text editor.