* [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
@ 2024-02-04 19:41 Ihor Radchenko
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Sacha Chua, Bastien, Timothy

Hi,

What do you think about an idea to modify Org mode front page
(https://orgmode.org/), adding the most recent blog posts and
discussions about Org mode?

We might use Org-related records from Sacha's news and/or
https://planet.emacslife.com/ as a source, scrape it regularly (once per
day/week or on every export), and embed the relevant links into the
orgweb/index.html

This way, visitors can easily see how active Org mode community is and
discover Org-related blogs/forums.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
@ 2024-02-04 19:57 ` Thomas Dye
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Dye @ 2024-02-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sacha Chua, Bastien, Timothy

+1

Tom

> On Feb 4, 2024, at 9:40 AM, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> What do you think about an idea to modify Org mode front page
> (https://orgmode.org/), adding the most recent blog posts and
> discussions about Org mode?
>
> We might use Org-related records from Sacha's news and/or
> https://planet.emacslife.com/ as a source, scrape it regularly (once per
> day/week or on every export), and embed the relevant links into the
> orgweb/index.html
>
> This way, visitors can easily see how active Org mode community is and
> discover Org-related blogs/forums.
>
> --
> Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
> Org mode contributor,
> Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
> Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
> or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
@ 2024-02-04 20:24 ` Juan Manuel Macías
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-04 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sacha Chua, Bastien, Timothy

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Hi,
>
> What do you think about an idea to modify Org mode front page
> (https://orgmode.org/), adding the most recent blog posts and
> discussions about Org mode?
>
> We might use Org-related records from Sacha's news and/or
> https://planet.emacslife.com/ as a source, scrape it regularly (once per
> day/week or on every export), and embed the relevant links into the
> orgweb/index.html
>
> This way, visitors can easily see how active Org mode community is and
> discover Org-related blogs/forums.

+1

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
@ 2024-02-04 20:49 ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2024-02-04 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 04.02.24 um 20:41 Uhr schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> What do you think about an idea to modify Org mode front page
> (https://orgmode.org/), adding the most recent blog posts and
> discussions about Org mode?

I think that would be a good idea. Please go ahead.

Regards,
Jürgen.

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-02-04 21:02 ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2024-02-04 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs list, Bastien, Timothy

On Sun, Feb 4, 2024, 14:37 Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> What do you think about an idea to modify Org mode front page
> (https://orgmode.org/), adding the most recent blog posts and

discussions about Org mode?

We might use Org-related records from Sacha's news and/or
> https://planet.emacslife.com/ as a source, scrape it regularly (once per
> day/week or on every export), and embed the relevant links into the
> orgweb/index.html

If you like, the Org Mode section can be parsed out of
https://github.com/sachac/emacs-news/blob/master/most-recent.org and
included wherever. :)

Sacha

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-02-05 21:52 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2024-02-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sacha Chua, Bastien, Timothy

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2024-02-04 22:40]:
> What do you think about an idea to modify Org mode front page
> (https://orgmode.org/), adding the most recent blog posts and
> discussions about Org mode?
>
> We might use Org-related records from Sacha's news and/or
> https://planet.emacslife.com/ as a source, scrape it regularly (once per
> day/week or on every export), and embed the relevant links into the
> orgweb/index.html
>
> This way, visitors can easily see how active Org mode community is and
> discover Org-related blogs/forums.

Very good idea!

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
@ 2024-02-24 14:32   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2024-02-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sacha Chua; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs list, Timothy

I'm all for any experiment that will help interesting Org post get
more traction.

If someone wants to play with https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/orgweb so that
it includes latest Org posts from Sacha's URL, please go ahead!

A complementary suggestion: let's activate the "Blog" tab on Woof (at
https://tracker.orgmode.org) so that when people send an email to the
list prefixed with [BLOG], it is referenced on this tab. Then, a RSS
feed is available from https://tracker.orgmode.org/blog.rss that we
can parse on orgmode.org.

Let me know if activating the detection of BLOG posts on the mailing
list sounds useful.

--
 Bastien Guerry

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
@ 2024-02-25 11:11     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-25 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: Sacha Chua, emacs list, Timothy

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> A complementary suggestion: let's activate the "Blog" tab on Woof (at
> https://tracker.orgmode.org) so that when people send an email to the
> list prefixed with [BLOG], it is referenced on this tab. Then, a RSS
> feed is available from https://tracker.orgmode.org/blog.rss that we
> can parse on orgmode.org.
>
> Let me know if activating the detection of BLOG posts on the mailing
> list sounds useful.

That does sound useful.
And we may trivially add the recent BLOG posts using something like
#+INCLUDE: "https://tracker.orgmode.org/index.org" :lines 1-10

--

@ 2024-02-26 10:01       ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2024-02-26 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Sacha Chua, emacs list, Timothy

> And we may trivially add the recent BLOG posts using something like
>
> #+INCLUDE: "https://tracker.orgmode.org/index.org" :lines 1-10

Yes, but the non-trivial thing is to schedule the CI regularily so
that index.html is updating regularily.  I believe integrating a RSS
feed with some free JS code could work.  Patch welcome!

--
 Bastien Guerry

* Re: [DISCUSSION] Add "Recent News" to orgmode.org
@ 2024-02-26 10:59         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-26 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: Sacha Chua, emacs list, Timothy

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> And we may trivially add the recent BLOG posts using something like
>>
>> #+INCLUDE: "https://tracker.orgmode.org/index.org" :lines 1-10
>
> Yes, but the non-trivial thing is to schedule the CI regularily so
> that index.html is updating regularily.  I believe integrating a RSS
> feed with some free JS code could work.  Patch welcome!

Wouldn't a cron job work? Similar to how we schedule CI for Org mode tests.

--

@ 2024-02-26 13:00           ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2024-02-26 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Sacha Chua, emacs list, Timothy

> Wouldn't a cron job work? Similar to how we schedule CI for Org mode
> tests.

Yes, you're right!

--
 Bastien Guerry