emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5
@ 2021-03-28  6:57 Bastien
  2021-03-28  7:57 ` Tim Cross
  2021-03-28 12:31 ` Jean Louis
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-03-28  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

over the years, Org ELPA at https://orgmode.org/elpa/ has been useful
to make it possible to install Org and Org+Contrib as ELPA packages,
but maintaining a separate ELPA space just for Org is not necessary.

Org 9.5 will be the last release to be distributed on Org ELPA.  After
9.5, we won't use Org ELPA for new releases.  Past releases will still
be available, though maybe not indefinitely.

The Org package will continue to be available through GNU ELPA (from
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/) and a new Org-Contrib package will be
available from https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/.

Only stable releases will be distributed through both GNU and NonGNU
ELPA repositories.  For those who want to test the unstable version of
Org, please install Org from Git:

~$ git clone https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git

See https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation

If you used Org ELPA and are affected by this change, please tell us
if this change affects you.

Thanks!

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5
  2021-03-28  6:57 Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5 Bastien
@ 2021-03-28  7:57 ` Tim Cross
  2021-03-28 17:32   ` Bastien
  2021-03-28 12:31 ` Jean Louis
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-03-28  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Thanks Bastien.

To clarify, does this mean org 9.6 will be the first version only
released via GNU elpa (i.e. bug fixes for 9.5 will still be released via
Org elpa e.g. 9.5.1)?

Tim

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> over the years, Org ELPA at https://orgmode.org/elpa/ has been useful
> to make it possible to install Org and Org+Contrib as ELPA packages,
> but maintaining a separate ELPA space just for Org is not necessary.
>
> Org 9.5 will be the last release to be distributed on Org ELPA.  After
> 9.5, we won't use Org ELPA for new releases.  Past releases will still
> be available, though maybe not indefinitely.
>
> The Org package will continue to be available through GNU ELPA (from
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/) and a new Org-Contrib package will be
> available from https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/.
>
> Only stable releases will be distributed through both GNU and NonGNU
> ELPA repositories.  For those who want to test the unstable version of
> Org, please install Org from Git:
>
> ~$ git clone https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
>
> See https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation
>
> If you used Org ELPA and are affected by this change, please tell us
> if this change affects you.
>
> Thanks!


-- 
Tim Cross


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5
  2021-03-28  6:57 Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5 Bastien
  2021-03-28  7:57 ` Tim Cross
@ 2021-03-28 12:31 ` Jean Louis
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-03-28 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> [2021-03-28 09:58]:
> Hi all,
> 
> over the years, Org ELPA at https://orgmode.org/elpa/ has been useful
> to make it possible to install Org and Org+Contrib as ELPA packages,
> but maintaining a separate ELPA space just for Org is not necessary.

Good decision, it lessens confusion on it.

> Org 9.5 will be the last release to be distributed on Org ELPA.  After
> 9.5, we won't use Org ELPA for new releases.  Past releases will still
> be available, though maybe not indefinitely.

Maybe previous versions you can also push to GNU ELPA, it is anyway
full of various previous versions for other packages. It this is
considered important.

Jean


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5
  2021-03-28  7:57 ` Tim Cross
@ 2021-03-28 17:32   ` Bastien
  2021-03-28 22:27     ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-03-28 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tim,

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> To clarify, does this mean org 9.6 will be the first version only
> released via GNU elpa (i.e. bug fixes for 9.5 will still be released
> via Org elpa e.g. 9.5.1)?

No, it means 9.5 will be the last version released on Org ELPA,
further bugfix releases will only be distributed through GNU ELPA.

9.5.1 won't be on Org ELPA, which will not get new releases after 9.5.

I hope this is clearer now, thanks for asking,

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5
  2021-03-28 17:32   ` Bastien
@ 2021-03-28 22:27     ` Samuel Wales
  2021-03-29  6:10       ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-03-28 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Tim Cross, emacs-orgmode

ok so org releases will be [just guesses here]
- emacs core
- there is a gnu elpa
- there is a nongnu elpa
- there is an org git
correct?


On 3/28/21, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> To clarify, does this mean org 9.6 will be the first version only
>> released via GNU elpa (i.e. bug fixes for 9.5 will still be released
>> via Org elpa e.g. 9.5.1)?
>
> No, it means 9.5 will be the last version released on Org ELPA,
> further bugfix releases will only be distributed through GNU ELPA.
>
> 9.5.1 won't be on Org ELPA, which will not get new releases after 9.5.
>
> I hope this is clearer now, thanks for asking,
>
> --
>  Bastien
>
>


-- 
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5
  2021-03-28 22:27     ` Samuel Wales
@ 2021-03-29  6:10       ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-03-29  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Tim Cross, emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

> - emacs core

... will contain the latest sync'ed Org version: we try to sync 
the latest Org stable ASAP, but I have not been consistent during
the last years.

> - there is a gnu elpa

... will contain Org latest stable.

> - there is a nongnu elpa

... will only contain the future org-contrib package.

> - there is an org git

... will give access to the latest Org.

> correct?

Yes.  The baseline here is: "If you want to use Org, then using
Emacs, GNU ELPA and NonGNU ELPA is enough.  If you want to test
Org, please use it from Git." -- which does not really differ
from the current situation, except that we won't have Org ELPA
in the mix anymore.

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-03-29  6:10 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-03-28  6:57 Shutting down Org ELPA: No new release of Org on Org ELPA after Org 9.5 Bastien
2021-03-28  7:57 ` Tim Cross
2021-03-28 17:32   ` Bastien
2021-03-28 22:27     ` Samuel Wales
2021-03-29  6:10       ` Bastien
2021-03-28 12:31 ` Jean Louis

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).