* emojis in tags?
@ 2023-02-10  3:34 Robert Nikander
From: Robert Nikander @ 2023-02-10  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Does anyone else think it might be nice to allow emojis in tags? I used to use OmniFocus before I got into org-mode. I had some tags that were certain symbols that had meaning to me.

Rob

* Re: emojis in tags?
@ 2023-02-10  3:58 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-10  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Nikander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Robert Nikander <robert.nikander@icloud.com> [2023-02-10 06:36]:
> Does anyone else think it might be nice to allow emojis in tags? I
> used to use OmniFocus before I got into org-mode. I had some tags
> that were certain symbols that had meaning to me.

While I do not use it in tags, I use Emojis in headings.

And that creates problem in exporting as Org to LaTeX for example, as
Org cannot solve the problem.

One solution to include Emojis in LaTeX would be to use this package for LaTeX:

alecjacobson/coloremoji.sty: Style package for directly including color emojis in latex documents:
https://github.com/alecjacobson/coloremoji.sty

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* [FR] Allow emojis in tags (was: emojis in tags?)
@ 2023-02-10 11:23 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-10 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Nikander, Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Robert Nikander <robert.nikander@icloud.com> writes:

> Does anyone else think it might be nice to allow emojis in tags? I used to use OmniFocus before I got into org-mode. I had some tags that were certain symbols that had meaning to me.

It is not hard to do, but I am not sure about consequences of such a
change in Org syntax.

I see no obvious downsides though.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [FR] Allow emojis in tags (was: emojis in tags?)
@ 2023-02-10 13:48   ` Robert Nikander
From: Robert Nikander @ 2023-02-10 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Timothy, Ihor Radchenko

> On Feb 10, 2023, at 6:23 AM, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Robert Nikander <robert.nikander@icloud.com> writes:
>
>> […]
>
> It is not hard to do, but I am not sure about consequences of such a
> change in Org syntax.
>
> I see no obvious downsides though.

I noticed that other potentially useful symbols do not work. For example, a string with an arrow symbol (a→b) does not parse as a tag.

I’d vote for also enabling things like the arrows, math symbols, and pictographs.

I sometimes don’t like how Emojis alter the line height, because to me it doesn’t look as nice when lines have different height. But if that can’t be controlled, and people don’t like it, then they are free to simply not use emojis.

Rob