* Org-mode notes about school lessons
@ 2023-02-24 12:08 Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2023-02-24 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

I used Org-mode for taking notes in some school lessons, but it was a
bit chaotic. I try to make it more efficient, easy to navigate and
manage.

I would like to know if you have any advice or suggestions.

Here, I will explain what I need, what I think to do this semester and
where I don't know how or what to do. It could be a long e-mail.

* What I need

First, I need to take notes for all school lessons.

For each lessons, I need to note:
- Name
- Schedule
- Classroom
- Teacher name and e-mail
- Assistant name and e-mail
- URL to the web page of this lesson on our online learning website
- List of all distributed documents
- Note on each of the distributed documents
- Lesson plan
- Notes taken in classroom while the teacher speak
- Notes taken while doing the practice work
- Tasks asked by the teacher

Secondly, I need a quick view on the week lessons schedule: For each day,
what lesson I have, when and where.

Thirdly, I need to manage the projects that teachers ask us to do. With deadlines.

* What I plan to do

As I need to write a lot for each lesson, and each lesson are mostly
independent from each other, I plan to have 1 file per lesson.

In each file, I plan to have the same structure:
- General information
- Tasks and Projects
- Distributed documents
- Notes

In "General information", I put the schedule of the lesson, the
classroom, the teacher and assistant name and e-mail and the URL to our
online platform.

In "Tasks and Projects", I put all work the teacher ask us to do. For
each, an Org-mode sub-headline with a TODO status. A project is just a task
with sub-tasks. Or maybe have a PROJECT status ?

In "Distributed documents", I create a sub-headline for each document. I
then attach a copy of the document to its sub-headline with org-attach.
Finally, I took note with Org-noter.

In "Notes" I make a tree of sub-headline based on the lesson plan. And,
when the teacher talk about a subject, I took a note in it's
sub-headline.

* What I miss

There is some point I'm note sure on what or how to do it.

First, the tasks. I don't know If it's better to keep them in the lesson
org file or move them with all my other tasks (home and work). I think
to include them in the org-agenda, so I can have global view of all ma
tasks. From school, work and home.

Second, the weekly schedule. Is it better to have a column view on a
separate file or to see the all the lessons in my org-agenda ? In the
first case, is it possible to build a column view from different file ?
In the second case, how to do it and to manage vacations ?

Third, do I include my work notes inside the lesson file ? Or do I
create a separate file for each works ? Some work asked to do are just
exercise, but some are rated and in this case we are asked to write a
report.

Fourth, is it better to include my school notes into org-roam with other
knowledge or keep them separate ? If I mix what I learn on my free time
and what I learn on school time, it would make more to review before an
exam.

I'm open to any suggestions or advice. Do not hesitate. ;)

Best regards