* Org-Publish of a PDF ??
@ 2018-12-12  1:22 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2018-12-12  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Have a question about org-publish-project.  I have a bunch of org files
that work fine and I've been able to publish my project to PDF fine, but
I'd like to refine the setting, but I can't find the documentation for
what I want.  Basically, I have the following:

(setq org-publish-project-alist
  '(("pdfDrop"
     :base-directory "~/directory1/"
     :base-extension "org"
     :publishing-directory "~/directory2/"
     :publishing-function org-latext-publish-to-pdf)))

When I publish my project, I find that my org files are first generated
into tex and pdf files in directory1 and then the tex/pdf files are
copied to directory2.  What I would like is for the tex/pdf files to be
directly generated in directory2 with no "extras" in directory1.

My reason is that I sync my directory1 to other (backup) locations and I
would rather not pick up the extras or have to modify the sync to know
and ignore what is extra which could change from time to time.

Why isn't this documented better in the Org documentation?
--
David

* Re: Org-Publish of a PDF ??
@ 2018-12-12 18:51 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2018-12-12 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, Org Mode List

Hi David,

David Masterson <dsmasterson@outlook.com> writes:

> When I publish my project, I find that my org files are first generated
> into tex and pdf files in directory1 and then the tex/pdf files are
> copied to directory2.  What I would like is for the tex/pdf files to be
> directly generated in directory2 with no "extras" in directory1.

I think you might be thinking about this the wrong way around.  I may be
wrong about this, as I'm not a heavy user of the publishing framework,
but here's my two cents.

As far as I understand it, the publishing framework is basically
designed around the idea of copying finished products to a desired
location (a directory, either locally or on a webserver).  It's built as
a layer on top of Org's exporters, not as a way to make those exporters
behave differently.  If you want to control the *build* process for the
PDF, as opposed to just where it finally ends up, you probably want to
set options for the latex exporter, not the publishing framework.

In particular, you might want something like:

#+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: builddir/file.tex

in the Org files you're exporting, where builddir is somewhere outside
of your directory1.  (I'm *pretty* sure that will work, but I haven't
tested it.)

Hope that helps!

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: Org-Publish of a PDF ??
@ 2018-12-13  0:08   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2018-12-13  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: Org Mode List

Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@outlook.com> writes:

>> When I publish my project, I find that my org files are first generated
>> into tex and pdf files in directory1 and then the tex/pdf files are
>> copied to directory2.  What I would like is for the tex/pdf files to be
>> directly generated in directory2 with no "extras" in directory1.

> I think you might be thinking about this the wrong way around.  I may be
> wrong about this, as I'm not a heavy user of the publishing framework,
> but here's my two cents.
>
> As far as I understand it, the publishing framework is basically
> designed around the idea of copying finished products to a desired
> location (a directory, either locally or on a webserver).  It's built as
> a layer on top of Org's exporters, not as a way to make those exporters
> behave differently.  If you want to control the *build* process for the
> PDF, as opposed to just where it finally ends up, you probably want to
> set options for the latex exporter, not the publishing framework.
>
> In particular, you might want something like:
>
> #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: builddir/file.tex
>
> in the Org files you're exporting, where builddir is somewhere outside
> of your directory1.  (I'm *pretty* sure that will work, but I haven't
> tested it.)

Hmm.  That's a possibility.  Then, I assume, that, after
EXPORT_FILE_NAME is made, the PDF file will be made in the same
location.  I'll have a look at the exporter options more.  I wonder if
there is an EXPORT_DIR..?

--
David