* Invisible parent tasks (request)
@ 2010-10-22 12:46 Magnus Nilsson
From: Magnus Nilsson @ 2010-10-22 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

When using Getting Things Done, it would be nice to customize org-mode such
that parent tasks are not seen from the agenda view with "C-a t"...
...unless all subtasks are in a done state!

A variable like org-show-parent-tasks could perhaps be introduced.

I know that org-enforce-todo-dependencies can make the parents text gray in
the agenda view, but I haven't found a way to make the parent tasks not
show.

Any comments?

/Magnus

* Re: Invisible parent tasks (request)
@ 2010-10-23  5:54 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-23  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Nilsson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 22, 2010, at 2:46 PM, Magnus Nilsson wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> When using Getting Things Done, it would be nice to customize org-
> mode such that parent tasks are not seen from the agenda view with
> "C-a t"...
> ...unless all subtasks are in a done state!
>
> A variable like org-show-parent-tasks could perhaps be introduced.
>
> I know that org-enforce-todo-dependencies can make the parents text
> gray in the agenda view, but I haven't found a way to make the
> parent tasks not show.

The manual says:

 > If you set the variable org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks,
 > TODO entries that cannot be
 > closed because of such dependencies will be shown in a
 > dimmed font or even made invisible
 > in agenda views (see Chapter 10 [Agenda Views], page 83).

If you look at the mentioned variable, you will find out that you
can set it to `invisible'.

- Carsten

* Re: Invisible parent tasks (request)
@ 2010-11-17  1:03 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-11-17  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Nilsson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten answered, but some notes, possibly relevant, but only indirectly.

;;org-enforce-todo-dependencies is set in custom and does blocking.
;;
;;;dimming (grey or invisible tasks) is this.  possibly slow and i am not
;;;sure it helps much in my case.  turning it off simplifies it so that i
;;;can look at colors more.  i might want to comment this out.
(setf org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks nil)
;;what i might like instead of dimming blocked tasks is something that dims
;;any task (whether blocked or not) that has children in the same agenda
;;view.  for consistency, perhaps this should be any descendent and not
;;direct children only.  might be slow.  this idea needs work.
;;dimming any parent in the same agenda view might be nice also.