* cheatsheets in emacs
@ 2010-09-22 13:41 Rustom Mody
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rustom Mody @ 2010-09-22 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode

There is this ruby utility cheat (see http://cheat.errtheblog.com/ )
that allows one to make/use cheatsheets using ruby. The format of the
cheatsheet is yml.

I feel that it should be possible to replace ruby by emacs and the
yaml format by org-mode

Does anything like this exist?

There is of course a third aspect to the ruby solution -- providing
web-available cheatsheets (see http://cheat.errtheblog.com/b )
This I am currently not asking for because I am only trying to track
my own findings in a manageable way

* Re: cheatsheets in emacs
@ 2010-09-22 20:04 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-22 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Rustom,

Rustom Mody wrote:
> There is this ruby utility cheat (see http://cheat.errtheblog.com/ )
> that allows one to make/use cheatsheets using ruby. The format of the
> cheatsheet is yml.
>
> I feel that it should be possible to replace ruby by emacs and the
> yaml format by org-mode
>
> Does anything like this exist?
>
> There is of course a third aspect to the ruby solution -- providing
> web-available cheatsheets (see http://cheat.errtheblog.com/b )
> This I am currently not asking for because I am only trying to track
> my own findings in a manageable way

For me, the reference card is exactly that, a cheat sheet. Though, not in Org.
But still viewable in Emacs with doc-view (for PDF or PS).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: cheatsheets in emacs
@ 2010-09-23  0:45 ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-09-23  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode

FYI There is also a cheat emacs interface:
http://github.com/defunkt/cheat.el

the idea is not bad if it isnt a NIH syndrom otherwise just use cheat ;)

@ 2010-09-23  4:01 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-09-23  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rustom Mody', help-gnu-emacs, 'emacs-orgmode'

> There is this ruby utility cheat (see http://cheat.errtheblog.com/ )
> that allows one to make/use cheatsheets using ruby. The format of the
> cheatsheet is yml.
>
> I feel that it should be possible to replace ruby by emacs and the
> yaml format by org-mode
>
> Does anything like this exist?
>
> There is of course a third aspect to the ruby solution -- providing
> web-available cheatsheets (see http://cheat.errtheblog.com/b )
> This I am currently not asking for because I am only trying to track
> my own findings in a manageable way

Hi Rustom,

Maybe this helps (dunno)?
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryReferenceSheet

Or maybe you are looking for an Emacs function that _generates_ cheat sheets?
In that case, `C-h m' and `C-h b' come to mind.  Or if you want to know/print
the bindings of a particular keymap (by name), `C-h M-k' from library
help-fns+.el does that (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/help-fns%2b.el).

FWIW - Personally, I've never seen much utility in cheat sheets for Emacs.  I
confess that I did make some for myself when I was a newbie, but I never really
bothered with them after I discovered Emacs's integrated help (`C-h m', `C-h b',
`C-h k', `C-h w', `C-h a', `M-x apropos', etc.).  No doubt the _act of making_
such a sheet manually can help one learn some keys, but beyond that I don't see
much point in them.  Just one opinion, of course.