* bullet point cycling
@ 2008-11-20  6:14 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-20  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I found the following in 6.12a.

************* org-shiftleft and org-shiftright on bullet points
1.  The command is not documented as working on bullet
    points.  However, this is a great feature.  For me, it
    cycles bullet styles.
2.  It should ideally adjust indentation when cycling bullet point
    styles.  For example, - + take one column; 1) takes two.
3.  1. (number followed by dot) should indent by two spaces when
    sentence-end-double-space is non-nil.  This should also
    occur with org-insert-heading.  See the present style.
4.  It would be nice to include o (lowercase oh) as a bullet
    point style if possible, as it's fairly common.
5.  There seems to be a bug in which org-shiftleft turns the
    first bullet point into a headline.  This occurs on the
    present body with the curser on the present bullet
    point.

Thanks.

--
Professional myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly
causing further suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on

* Re: bullet point cycling
@ 2008-11-20  9:04 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-20  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Nov 20, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> I found the following in 6.12a.
>
> ************* org-shiftleft and org-shiftright on bullet points
> 1.  The command is not documented as working on bullet
>    points.  However, this is a great feature.  For me, it
>    cycles bullet styles.

Documentation is improved now.

> 2.  It should ideally adjust indentation when cycling bullet point
>    styles.  For example, - + take one column; 1) takes two.

This also works now.

> 3.  1. (number followed by dot) should indent by two spaces when
>    sentence-end-double-space is non-nil.  This should also
>    occur with org-insert-heading.  See the present style.

I cannot see why this would be useful.  Sentence commands will
also not work with the other bullet styles.  Note that you can
use C-a in combination with an appropriate setting of
`org-special-ctrl-a/e' to jump to the beginning of an item,
after the bullet.  I use the setting `reversed'.

> 4.  It would be nice to include o (lowercase oh) as a bullet
>    point style if possible, as it's fairly common.

Might be nice, but this is too much trouble, because of
technical reasons (implementation is hard-coded in
several places...)

> 5.  There seems to be a bug in which org-shiftleft turns the
>    first bullet point into a headline.  This occurs on the
>    present body with the curser on the present bullet
>    point.

Yes, if the bullet starts at the left margin, the cycling
skips the * bullet type, to avoid confusion with headlines.
This was broken for the left-cycling.  Works now.

Thanks for your report.....

And don't forget to try the new ido support in Org:

(setq org-completion-use-ido t)

- Carsten

* Re: bullet point cycling
@ 2008-11-21  1:45   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-21  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 02:04, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

Thanks for the changes!

>> 3.  1. (number followed by dot) should indent by two spaces when
>>   sentence-end-double-space is non-nil.  This should also
>>   occur with org-insert-heading.  See the present style.
>

> I cannot see why this would be useful.  Sentence commands will
> also not work with the other bullet styles.  ...

Making sentences work for all styles and for headlines would be nice,
but that is not what this is about.  It's for indentation:

1. This has one space.
   And this is correctly aligned.

1.  This has two spaces.
    And this is correctly aligned.

(At least, if gmail didn't change anything.)

Those who use two spaces after periods.  Like this.   Probably also
want to have two spaces after the dot after the number also.  As I do.

Currently org assumes that you always want one space after the period.

> And don't forget to try the new ido support in Org:
>
> (setq org-completion-use-ido t)
>
> - Carsten

Looking forward to it and will test it.

--

@ 2008-11-21  4:55     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-21  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 21, 2008, at 2:45 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Making sentences work for all styles and for headlines would be nice,
> but that is not what this is about.  It's for indentation:
>
> 1. This has one space.
>   And this is correctly aligned.
>
> 1.  This has two spaces.
>    And this is correctly aligned.
>
> (At least, if gmail didn't change anything.)
>
> Those who use two spaces after periods.  Like this.   Probably also
> want to have two spaces after the dot after the number also.  As I do.
>
> Currently org assumes that you always want one space after the period.

Why do you think that this is the case?  Under what circumstances
does it exhibit such behavior?

- Carsten

* Re: bullet point cycling
@ 2008-11-21  5:14       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-21  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:55, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Why do you think that this is the case?  Under what circumstances
> does it exhibit such behavior?

Best example:

- Create this item.  Now do M-x org-shiftright twice.  It
  will look like "1. Create" instead of "1.  Create".

* Re: bullet point cycling
@ 2008-11-21  5:57         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-21  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 21, 2008, at 6:14 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:55, Carsten Dominik
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> Why do you think that this is the case?  Under what circumstances
>> does it exhibit such behavior?
>
> Best example:
>
> - Create this item.  Now do M-x org-shiftright twice.  It
>  will look like "1. Create" instead of "1.  Create".

OK, I see now.  But I don't see what this has to to with the
user setting for the number of spaces after a sentence.
You may, for example, also want two spaces after "1)".  So I
have implemented in a different way:

   (setq org-list-two-spaces-after-bullet-regexp "\\.")

should now do what you want.  Up on the git repo now.

- Carsten