* How to join cells in tables and center content
@ 2013-05-30 18:53 Ivanov Dmitry
From: Ivanov Dmitry @ 2013-05-30 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suppose, I am writing a database table structure.
Is it possible to join the 1-st two cells? And make 'table1' centered?
Current view and desired:

| table1 |       |          |     table1     |
|--------+-------+          |--------+-------+
| id     | value |    ->    | id     | value |
|        |       |          |        |       |

I understand, that it will require programming. Just give me a hint, where is the function, expanding table cells, and I'll try to implement it.

* Re: How to join cells in tables and center content
@ 2013-05-31  6:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-05-31  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivanov Dmitry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ivanov,

Ivanov Dmitry <usr345@gmail.com> writes:

> Suppose, I am writing a database table structure.
> Is it possible to join the 1-st two cells? And make 'table1'
> centered?

No.

> Current view and desired:
>

> | table1 |       |          |     table1     |
> |--------+-------+          |--------+-------+
> | id     | value |    ->    | id     | value |
> |        |       |          |        |       |

> I understand, that it will require programming. Just give me a hint,
> where is the function, expanding table cells, and I'll try to
> implement it.

Most code is in org-table.el -- but beware that even with some
programming skills this is a hard-perhaps-impossible task...

Good luck,

--
 Bastien

* Re: How to join cells in tables and center content
@ 2013-05-31 19:27   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-05-31 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-05-31, o godz. 08:06:58
Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> napisał(a):

> Hi Ivanov,
>
> Ivanov Dmitry <usr345@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Suppose, I am writing a database table structure.
> > Is it possible to join the 1-st two cells? And make 'table1'
> > centered?
>
> No.
>
> > Current view and desired:
> >

> > | table1 |       |          |     table1     |
> > |--------+-------+          |--------+-------+
> > | id     | value |    ->    | id     | value |
> > |        |       |          |        |       |

> > I understand, that it will require programming. Just give me a hint,
> > where is the function, expanding table cells, and I'll try to
> > implement it.
>
> Most code is in org-table.el -- but beware that even with some
> programming skills this is a hard-perhaps-impossible task...

Just random thoughts here:

It would definitely require some syntax so that Org knows that you
don't want to just extend the whole column to the width of two
columns.  Maybe something like <n> (setting of the width), but
probably something along the lines of #+TBLFM (some kind of
syntax /below/ the table) might be better.

In general, joining cells seems to be a potentially tough problem,
especially if you want to allow joining them vertically, too
(and /years/ of LaTeX experience (not mine) show that if you give
people horizontal joining, at some point they /will/ want vertical
one...  In Polish, we have a saying for that: "give it a finger, and it
will bite off your hand";).)

That said, I'd welcome such a feature.

> Good luck,

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to join cells in tables and center content
@ 2013-06-01  6:40 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-06-01  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivanov Dmitry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 30.5.2013, at 20:53, Ivanov Dmitry <usr345@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose, I am writing a database table structure.
> Is it possible to join the 1-st two cells? And make 'table1' centered?
> Current view and desired:
>

> | table1 |       |          |     table1     |
> | id     | value |    ->    | id     | value |
>

> I understand, that it will require programming. Just give me a hint, where is the function, expanding table cells, and I'll try to implement it.

Hi Dmitry,

you can create such tables using table.el and use them in Org.
But the org-mode tables will not accommodate such a feature,
would be too hard.

- Carsten