* Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.856.ga70c); Remember templates fail to file to tasks with a todo keyword
@ 2009-09-18 18:01 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-09-18 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For new projects where I collect lots of tasks over time I've tried
creating a remember template to file to the project directly - to
save one refile step.

For the following example

,----
| * Some Heading
| ** TODO New Project
| *** TODO Step 1
| *** ...
| *** TODO Step n
`----

I create a remember template that files directly to
    'TODO New Project'.

This works great but... if the status of the project task changes (say
to WAITING) then any new tasks I file with remember create another
(new) task '* TODO New Project' and it files under that instead of the
'** WAITING New Project' task.  All of a sudden I'm collecting tasks
in the wrong place and I have to refile them all to the correct
target.

This feels wrong to me.  I don't think it makes sense to include the
TODO keyword in the remember template target since the target changes
based on TODO keyword status.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11)
 of 2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian
Package: Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.856.ga70c)

* Re: Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.856.ga70c); Remember templates fail to file to tasks with a todo keyword
@ 2009-09-18 18:19 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-09-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Confirmed.  I actually reported this a while ago.

In my case it was a blank that stopped working as a target when it got
a todo kw.

In addition to making remember templates ignore todo kw, IMO it would
be useful to allow an org ID as a target.  This would allow accurate
target selection.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis causes death (Jason et al. 2006)
and severe suffering.  Conflicts of interest are destroying

@ 2009-09-18 20:10   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-09-18 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Samuel Wales schrieb:
> Confirmed.  I actually reported this a while ago.
>
> In my case it was a blank that stopped working as a target when it got
> a todo kw.
>
> In addition to making remember templates ignore todo kw, IMO it would
> be useful to allow an org ID as a target.  This would allow accurate
> target selection.

maybe for max flexibility one could define a variable for a regex for
text to be "excluded" when searching the target line when saving the
template. The regex could include keywords and whatever else is
considered non essential.

Rainer

@ 2009-09-19  7:09   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-19  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 18, 2009, at 7:19 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Confirmed.  I actually reported this a while ago.

Indeed, you did report this before, and the item was on my list.

It is fixed now.  The headline given as a target must be an exact match
for the text part of the heading.  In addition, it may have a TODO
keyword, a priority, and tags.  Rainer, is that general enough, or did
you have something else in mind?

- Carsten