* problem exporting latex fragments to html: Debian's dvipng 1.12-1 is buggy
@ 2010-02-02 13:57 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-02-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm obviously having a bad two days with org-mode but, this time, I've
actually solved the problem myself.  I thought I would highlight the
issue in case anybody else runs into this.

Short summary: exporting org files with latex fragments to HTML failed
to create the images.  I tracked the problem down to dvipng failing
(memory reference problems).  My system is Debian with a mixture of
testing and unstable (yes, this will do it to you every time!).  In
any case, version 1.12-1 of dvipng seems to have problems; the latest
in testing is 1.12-3 and this one works.

However, I thought I would bring up a minor point: the failure to
create images was not obvious; I had to resort to going through my
*Messages* buffer.  I then tried toggling debug on error to see why
the image creation was failing but this had no effect as an error
condition is not raised; this begs the question: should an error
condition be raised when an image creation fails?

Thanks,
eric

* Re: problem exporting latex fragments to html: Debian's dvipng 1.12-1 is buggy
@ 2010-02-03 15:14 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-03 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

OK, this now throws an error.

- Carsten

On Feb 2, 2010, at 2:57 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm obviously having a bad two days with org-mode but, this time, I've
> actually solved the problem myself.  I thought I would highlight the
> issue in case anybody else runs into this.
>
> Short summary: exporting org files with latex fragments to HTML failed
> to create the images.  I tracked the problem down to dvipng failing
> (memory reference problems).  My system is Debian with a mixture of
> testing and unstable (yes, this will do it to you every time!).  In
> any case, version 1.12-1 of dvipng seems to have problems; the latest
> in testing is 1.12-3 and this one works.
>
> However, I thought I would bring up a minor point: the failure to
> create images was not obvious; I had to resort to going through my
> *Messages* buffer.  I then tried toggling debug on error to see why
> the image creation was failing but this had no effect as an error
> condition is not raised; this begs the question: should an error
> condition be raised when an image creation fails?
>
> Thanks,
> eric

- Carsten