* Babel problem: Output incomplete if it contains # character (only in session)
@ 2018-05-26 16:01 Marian Schubert
From: Marian Schubert @ 2018-05-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm having trouble with babel block like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :results output :session xyz
echo "foo#bar"
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: bar

I expect results to be foo#bar, but it's just bar.
If I remove :session xyz it displays correct value, i.e.:

#+RESULTS:
: foo#bar

Any idea what might be wrong?

Best regards,
Marian

* Babel problem: Output incomplete if it contains # character (only in session)
@ 2018-06-04 16:42 Marian Schubert
From: Marian Schubert @ 2018-06-04 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm having trouble with babel block like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :results output :session abc
echo foo#bar
#+END_SRC

When I execute it for the first time I get this result:

#+RESULTS:
:
: foo#bar

When I execute it again I get this:

#+RESULTS:
:
: bar

(foo# is missing)

Any idea what might be wrong? I'm using version 9.1.13.

Best regards,
Marian

Full example.org:

* Example
#+BEGIN_SRC shell :results output :session abc
echo foo#bar
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: foo#bar

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :results output :session abc
echo foo#bar
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: bar

* Re: Babel problem: Output incomplete if it contains # character (only in session)
@ 2018-06-05  1:38 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2018-06-05  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marian Schubert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 9:42 AM, Marian Schubert <marian.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm having trouble with babel block like this:
>

> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :results output :session abc
> echo foo#bar
> #+END_SRC
>
> When I execute it for the first time I get this result:
>
> #+RESULTS:
> :
> : foo#bar
>
> When I execute it again I get this:
>
> #+RESULTS:
> :
> : bar
>
> (foo# is missing)
>
> Any idea what might be wrong? I'm using version 9.1.13.

After running that I get this in the abc buffer for

	M-x describe-variable RET comint-prompt-regexp RET

,----
| comint-prompt-regexp is a variable defined in ‘comint.el’.
| Its value is "^[^#$%>
| ]*[#$%>] *"
| Local in buffer abc; global value is "^"
|
| Documentation:
| Regexp to recognize prompts in the inferior process.
| Defaults to "^", the null string at BOL.
|
| This variable is only used if the variable
| ‘comint-use-prompt-regexp’ is non-nil.
|
| Good choices:
|   Canonical Lisp: "^[^> \n]*>+:? *" (Lucid, franz, kcl, T, cscheme, oaklisp)
|   Lucid Common Lisp: "^\\(>\\|\\(->\\)+\\) *"
|   franz: "^\\(->\\|<[0-9]*>:\\) *"
|   kcl: "^>+ *"
|   shell: "^[^#$%>\n]*[#$%>] *"
|   T: "^>+ *"
|
| This is a good thing to set in mode hooks.
|
| [back]
`----

The first hash is not recognized as a prompt, but the rest are.

If you really need to use the hash, then running

: (set-local comint-prompt-regexp "^[^$%>\n]*[$%>] *")

in the `abc' buffer might help.

This has obvious problems if you run as root and do not reset the prompt to something other than #.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Babel problem: Output incomplete if it contains # character (only in session)
@ 2018-06-12 15:01 ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2018-06-12 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marian Schubert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marian Schubert <marian.schubert@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble with babel block like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :results output :session xyz
> echo "foo#bar"
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> :
> : bar
>
> I expect results to be foo#bar, but it's just bar.
> If I remove :session xyz it displays correct value, i.e.:
I also face issues when there is a session involved with shell.
Why don't you try:
export PS1=$
at the beginning of the session as the first command and see if this
fixes it for you?

--
Narendra Joshi