* Markdown Export Manual Confusion
@ 2018-08-09 11:10 Matthew Brecher
From: Matthew Brecher @ 2018-08-09 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markdown export is disabled by default in org version 9.1.9.
As far as I can see the manual does not indicate any way to enable this.
Perhaps it would be prudent to include this info in the Markdown Export page [0] of the manual.
The way it is currently written it appears as if this should work out of the box.

The only time the relevant inclusion is mentioned (require 'ox-md) is mentioned int he manual is in the Exporting Chapter [1], but here it is not explained what this does.

[0] https://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html
[1] https://orgmode.org/org.html#Exporting
--
  Matthew Brecher
  matt@yhete.com

* Re: Markdown Export Manual Confusion
@ 2018-08-09 16:07 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2018-08-09 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brecher; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On Aug 9, 2018, at 4:10 AM, Matthew Brecher <matt@yhete.com> wrote:
>
> Markdown export is disabled by default in org version 9.1.9.
> As far as I can see the manual does not indicate any way to enable this.

As I read `Exporting' [1], the instruction is to load ox-md or customize `org-export-backends'. When I type

M-x customize-variable org-export-backends RET

a buffer pops up with boxes to check including one for

;   md          Export buffer to Markdown format

checking this box and clicking on `Apply' turns on Markdown export. Clicking `Apply and Save' will also result in Markdown being enabled in future sessions.

> Perhaps it would be prudent to include this info in the Markdown Export page [0] of the manual.
> The way it is currently written it appears as if this should work out of the box.
>
> The only time the relevant inclusion is mentioned (require 'ox-md) is mentioned int he manual is in the Exporting Chapter [1], but here it is not explained what this does.
>
> [0] https://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html
> [1] https://orgmode.org/org.html#Exporting
> --
>  Matthew Brecher