* bug? setting todo keywords
@ 2009-03-04 10:54 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-03-04 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hello everybody

I'm not able to change the todo keywords in a file
with "setq org-todo-keywords" and restarting org-mode
as described in the manual § 5.2.1 .

Org-mode version 6.23b
GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-02-01 on SOFT-MJASON
M$Widows XP

---------------------file---------
    -*- mode: org; -*-
 * TODO 1st head

(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "FEEDBACK" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE" "DELEGATED")))

  # + SEQ_TODO: TODO FEEDBACK VERIFY DONE

(setq org-todo-keywords '((type "Fred" "Sara" "Lucy" "|" "DONE")))
--------------

If I
+ go to )))
+ C-x C-e
+ M-x normal-mode  (to restart Org-mode)

the * TODO sequence is still TODO DONE

The sequence is changed  (feedback, delegated...)
- if I change it via the customization interface
- if I use #+SEQ_TODO: and C-c C-c on it

I'm puzzled! the sequence is changed with the "type" keyword
(setq org-todo-keywords '((type
                        ^^^^^^^^^

Is it a bug or do I miss something?

cheers,
Giovanni

http://mail.yahoo.it

* Re: bug? setting todo keywords
@ 2009-03-04 13:13 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-04 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovanni.ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> Hello everybody
>
> I'm not able to change the todo keywords in a file
> with "setq org-todo-keywords" and restarting org-mode
> as described in the manual § 5.2.1 .
>
> Org-mode version 6.23b
> GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-02-01 on SOFT-MJASON
> M$Widows XP
>
> ---------------------file---------
>     -*- mode: org; -*-
>  * TODO 1st head
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "FEEDBACK" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE" "DELEGATED")))
>
>   # + SEQ_TODO: TODO FEEDBACK VERIFY DONE
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '((type "Fred" "Sara" "Lucy" "|" "DONE")))
> --------------

Is there a reason that you're putting all these lines in your org file?
Normally, you would put #1 *or* #3 in your .emacs file and #2 at the top
of your org file for in buffer settings.

> If I
> + go to )))
> + C-x C-e
> + M-x normal-mode  (to restart Org-mode)

I think you need to use M-x org-mode-restart to restart org-mode with
the new settings.

- Matt

* Re: bug? setting todo keywords
@ 2009-03-04 14:07 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-03-04 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

--- Mer 4/3/09, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> ha scritto:
> Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
Hi, Matthew,

thanks for replying.

> > ---------------------file---------
> >     -*- mode: org; -*-
> >  * TODO 1st head
> >
> > (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "FEEDBACK"
> > "VERIFY" "|" "DONE" "DELEGATED")))
> >
> >   # + SEQ_TODO: TODO FEEDBACK VERIFY  DONE
> >
> > (setq org-todo-keywords '((type "Fred" "Sara" "Lucy"
> > "|" "DONE")))
> > --------------
> >
> Is there a reason that you're putting all these lines in
> your org file?

 Well I'd like to have all the settings exploiting
"Local variables"
  (for some reasons, last but not least to answer
  "variables polls" faster and with less work
   for Manish ;).
 But, IMHO :-), local variables are bad beasts, being
difficult to configure.
 So first of all I wanted to be sure I could change the
todo-keywords on a per file basis with setq. Only then
I will fight with the local variables syntax..

> Normally, you would put #1 *or* #3 in your .emacs file and
> #2 at the top of your org file for in buffer settings.

BTW It works also if it is in the middle.

> > If I
> > + go to )))
> > + C-x C-e
> > + M-x normal-mode  (to restart Org-mode)
>
> I think you need to use M-x org-mode-restart to restart
> org-mode with the new settings.

It doesn't work either. Thanks anyway.

I suspect I have to change also some other variable
or setting besides org-todo-keyword, but I don't have
any idea.

@ 2009-03-04 14:25 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovanni.ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Giovanni,

I am doing exactly what you do:  C-c C-e after the setq form, then
M-x normal-mode.

Works perfectly.

The only reason I can think of is that you somehow managed to make
org-todo-keywords a local variable.  This can happen with
a File Variable section in the buffer, or if you
have something like

(make-variable-buffer-local 'org-todo-keywords)

in .emacs or elsewhere.

You can check in the org buffer with

C-h v org-todo-keywords RET

If the variable is local in that buffer, the Help window will say so.

org-todo-keywords should *not* be a local variable.

However, if it is, your setq evaluation will set the local value
only.  Then you restart the major mode with normal-mode or similar,
and the first thing this will do is *deleting* all local variables.

HTH

- Carsten