* make update error
@ 2009-09-01  5:04 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2009-09-01  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Aloha all,

Apologies in advance for a question well below the prevailing software
expertise on this list and somewhat off topic.  I looked around for an
answer to this with no luck.

I'm trying to update the org-mode installation on my Mac, like this:

sudo make update

git pull counts, compresses, receives objects, resolves deltas,
updates and fails with this message:

error: Entry 'Makefile' not uptodate. Cannot merge.

As far as I know Makefile is up-to-date.

Any help appreciated.  Org-mode is an indispensable part of my work
life now.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: make update error
@ 2009-09-01  5:53 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-09-01  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> Apologies in advance for a question well below the prevailing software
> expertise on this list and somewhat off topic.  I looked around for an
> answer to this with no luck.
>
> I'm trying to update the org-mode installation on my Mac, like this:
>
> sudo make update
>
> git pull counts, compresses, receives objects, resolves deltas,
> updates and fails with this message:
>
> error: Entry 'Makefile' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
>
> As far as I know Makefile is up-to-date.

You probably changed it without realizing it. If you don't care about
the changes (you can check with "git diff": it will tell you what's
different between your repository and the working tree), you can
checkout the original version of the Makefile and then do the pull:

   git checkout Makefile
   git pull

This will probably do it, but if worse comes to worse, you can always
just throw away the whole repository and start from scratch:

   git clone git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git .

You might also want to have a local branch, where you can keep any local
modifications, e.g. if the changes to the Makefile were deliberate and
you wanted to keep them, then you could save the Makefile temporarily
(mv Makefile /tmp/Makefile), do the above commands, then create the local branch:

   git branch local

change to it:

   git checkout local

(note that checkout has a couple of related but different meanings).
Move the modified Makefile back and commit the changes:

   mv /tmp/Makefile .
   git commit -a

When it it time to pull again, you can change back to the (pristine)
master branch and pull:

   git checkout master
   git pull

Then you can rebase your local changes on top of the new bits:

   git rebase master local

It's a good way to keep a few local modifications and carry them forward
to any new version of org (of course, if the new version and your changes
change the same area of a file, you might end up with merge conflicts that
you'll have to resolve: but most of the time, it just works).

HTH,
Nick

* Re: make update error
@ 2009-09-01 14:07   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-09-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>> git pull counts, compresses, receives objects, resolves deltas,
>> updates and fails with this message:
>>
>> error: Entry 'Makefile' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
>>
>> As far as I know Makefile is up-to-date.
>>
> You might also want to have a local branch, where you can keep any local
> modifications, e.g. if the changes to the Makefile were deliberate and
> you wanted to keep them, then you could save the Makefile temporarily
> (mv Makefile /tmp/Makefile), do the above commands, then create the local branch:
>
>    git branch local
>
> change to it:
>
>    git checkout local
>
> (note that checkout has a couple of related but different meanings).
> Move the modified Makefile back and commit the changes:
>
>    mv /tmp/Makefile .
>    git commit -a
>
> When it it time to pull again, you can change back to the (pristine)
> master branch and pull:
>
>    git checkout master
>    git pull
>
> Then you can rebase your local changes on top of the new bits:
>
>    git rebase master local
>
> It's a good way to keep a few local modifications and carry them forward
> to any new version of org (of course, if the new version and your changes
> change the same area of a file, you might end up with merge conflicts that
> you'll have to resolve: but most of the time, it just works).

There's a description of how to do this local branch with rebase
automagically at

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-local-changes-current-with-Org-mode-development

There's not need to change back to the master branch - just pull (with
rebase) into your local branch.

-Bernt

* Re: make update error
@ 2009-09-01 14:37     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-09-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> >
> >> git pull counts, compresses, receives objects, resolves deltas,
> >> updates and fails with this message:
> >>
> >> error: Entry 'Makefile' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
> >>

> > <SNIP>
>
> There's a description of how to do this local branch with rebase
> automagically at
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-local-changes-current-with-Org-mode-development
>
> There's not need to change back to the master branch - just pull (with
> rebase) into your local branch.

Nice! Thanks for pointing that out (the document *and* the method).

Nick

* Re: make update error
@ 2009-09-01 17:53     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2009-09-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:07 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>>
>>> git pull counts, compresses, receives objects, resolves deltas,
>>> updates and fails with this message:
>>>
>>> error: Entry 'Makefile' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
>>>
>>> As far as I know Makefile is up-to-date.
>>>
>> You might also want to have a local branch, where you can keep any
>> local
>> modifications, e.g. if the changes to the Makefile were deliberate
>> and
>> you wanted to keep them, then you could save the Makefile temporarily
>> (mv Makefile /tmp/Makefile), do the above commands, then create the
>> local branch:
>>
>>   git branch local
>>
>> change to it:
>>
>>   git checkout local
>>
>> (note that checkout has a couple of related but different meanings).
>> Move the modified Makefile back and commit the changes:
>>
>>   mv /tmp/Makefile .
>>   git commit -a
>>
>> When it it time to pull again, you can change back to the (pristine)
>> master branch and pull:
>>
>>   git checkout master
>>   git pull
>>
>> Then you can rebase your local changes on top of the new bits:
>>
>>   git rebase master local
>>
>> It's a good way to keep a few local modifications and carry them
>> forward
>> to any new version of org (of course, if the new version and your
>> changes
>> change the same area of a file, you might end up with merge
>> conflicts that
>> you'll have to resolve: but most of the time, it just works).
>
> There's a description of how to do this local branch with rebase
> automagically at
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-local-changes-current-with-Org-mode-development
>
> There's not need to change back to the master branch - just pull (with
> rebase) into your local branch.
>
> -Bernt

Aloha Nick and Bernt,

Thanks for the very useful advice and the pointer to the FAQ that
deals specifically with my situation.  I very much appreciate not
receiving a RTFM reply.

It turns out I had edited the top of the Makefile, per the
instructions, to configure it to my Mac setup.  To my mind, this edit
was a "configuration" and not a "local change."  When I looked through
the FAQ I didn't stop to read "How can I keep local changes and still
track Org mode development" because I hadn't made any changes to the
lisp source of org-mode, so thought I couldn't possibly have made a
"local change."   I think I can see now how the distinction I was
making between a "local change" and a "configuration" isn't sensible
from a developer's point of view, but I'm not sure I would have been
able to do so without falling back on my graduate school training in
linguistic anthropology!

I'm looking forward to isolating my local changes from the master
branch, a task I am scheduling now with C-c r ...

All the best,
Tom