* How to write an exporter
@ 2008-06-24 11:27 Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2008-06-24 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I've been wanting to have an exporter for latex beamer and for
mediawiki. I thought that might be a nice summer project. How do I
write it? Do I use

 - the new mapping API
 - or the "new" exporter engine from Bastien which is buried away
   somewhere on a branch in git?

I guess the mapping API is included in org-mode proper but only gives
me access to the headlines AFAIK. What is the status of the exporter
engine from Bastien? Is it ever going to be resurrected?

Thanks
Christian

* Re: How to write an exporter
@ 2008-06-25  8:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-25  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 24, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Christian Egli wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been wanting to have an exporter for latex beamer and for
> mediawiki. I thought that might be a nice summer project. How do I
> write it? Do I use
>
> - the new mapping API
> - or the "new" exporter engine from Bastien which is buried away
>   somewhere on a branch in git?
>
> I guess the mapping API is included in org-mode proper but only gives
> me access to the headlines AFAIK. What is the status of the exporter
> engine from Bastien? Is it ever going to be resurrected?

Bastien has been quite busy lately, and I am not sure how this will
develop in the future.

The "new export engine" as far as I can see, is so far mostly a parser
that converts an Org file into a structured hierarchy of property lists
that give access to the entire content as well as all the meta data
like tags, todo state, deadline date etc etc.

I have pulled out org-export.el from the branch and placed a copy into
the EXPERIMENTAL subdirectory of the master branch.

Bastien, I fixed a bug which had to do with narrowing in a recursive
procedure - the old restriction needs to be remembered.  Also, I
implemented a function that will remove the meta data (most of it
anyway) from the content string, so maybe this is a useful thing?  It
is a separate function, so easily removed again.

Looking at org-export.el,  Bastien also planed to have filter
functions, and then backend that will write the structure back to a
file - I don't know how much of this works.

Christian, you could simply experiment with the return value of org-
export-parse.

HTH

- Carsten