* Setup for switching between 2 org-mode configurations (demo/productive)?
@ 2013-10-03  7:33 M
From: M @ 2013-10-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to set up org-mode in a way to separate my personal data from my
gerenal settings.

Why?
I'd like to be able to quickly and easily create tutorials or minimal
examples with sample data without having to worry about publishing
private/personal information anywhere.
So I'm searching for a way to "disable" all personal data with one command
and easily re-enable them later.

I assume that some of you already have something like that or can recommend
a way for doing so?
I'm using Mercurial for versioning my org-mode files (but honestly I have no
ideas about the advanced features of version control like branching,
merging, etc., I'm just abusing it for regularly storing backups of my setup
and data and making a diff, if something got messed up or accidently
deleted).

Kind regards

Martin

* Re: Setup for switching between 2 org-mode configurations (demo/productive)?
@ 2013-10-03  8:02 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-10-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> I'd like to set up org-mode in a way to separate my personal data from my
> gerenal settings.
> and easily re-enable them later.
[...]
> I assume that some of you already have something like that or can recommend
> a way for doing so?

I by myself did chose a manual attempt so far: temporarily modifying
org-agenda-files to one demo file [1] and sticking to this demo file
only while showing stuff.

With my Memacs setup (see sig), I gave up selecting stuff that might
be private because every daily agenda shows private stuff (in case
or displaying archive files is enabled).

To demonstrate Memacs, I wrote a small shell script that finds days
where I got no time-stamp in my Org-mode files. (Fun act: I found
only a handful within the last years!). This way, I chose September
15th 2008 for [2]. I created dummy entries for a demo scenario and
stick to this single "artificial" day only. :-)

  1. e.g., https://github.com/novoid/org-mode-workshop/blob/master/featureshow/org-mode-teaser.org
  2. http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.1332
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Setup for switching between 2 org-mode configurations (demo/productive)?
@ 2013-10-03 11:39   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-10-03 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi!
>
>> I'd like to set up org-mode in a way to separate my personal data from my
>> gerenal settings.
>> and easily re-enable them later.
> [...]
>> I assume that some of you already have something like that or can recommend
>> a way for doing so?
>
> I by myself did chose a manual attempt so far: temporarily modifying
> org-agenda-files to one demo file [1] and sticking to this demo file
> only while showing stuff.
>
> With my Memacs setup (see sig), I gave up selecting stuff that might
> be private because every daily agenda shows private stuff (in case
> or displaying archive files is enabled).

It may be worth considering running in a virtual machine.

--
Nick

* Re: Setup for switching between 2 org-mode configurations (demo/productive)?
@ 2013-10-03 17:41     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-10-03 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> With my Memacs setup (see sig), I gave up selecting stuff that might
>> be private because every daily agenda shows private stuff (in case
>> or displaying archive files is enabled).
>>

> It may be worth considering running in a virtual machine.

If I had to do this on a monthly basis or similar, you are
absolutely right, yes.

However, unfortunately I give Org-mode/Memacs demos probably twice a
year or so. It's not worth the hazzle/disk space/effort.

--

@ 2013-10-14  4:00     ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2013-10-14  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> * M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>>> I'd like to set up org-mode in a way to separate my personal data from my
>>> gerenal settings.
>>> and easily re-enable them later.
>> [...]
>>> I assume that some of you already have something like that or can recommend
>>> a way for doing so?
>>
>> I by myself did chose a manual attempt so far: temporarily modifying
>> org-agenda-files to one demo file [1] and sticking to this demo file
>> only while showing stuff.
>>
>> With my Memacs setup (see sig), I gave up selecting stuff that might
>> be private because every daily agenda shows private stuff (in case
>> or displaying archive files is enabled).
>>

> It may be worth considering running in a virtual machine.

And RAM and CPU cycles being cheap these days, I second this suggestion.

Take a look at

http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/getting-started/

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Setup for switching between 2 org-mode configurations (demo/productive)?
@ 2013-10-14  5:01       ` M
From: M @ 2013-10-14  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Karl Voit, Nick Dokos, Noorul Islam K M

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

Running a virtual machine for the second setup is an interesting idea, but
it is problematic, as I'm using MacOS X 10.6 and AFAIK it is not permitted
to run it in a VM.
I'm currently working with org-mode under OS X (Aquamacs) at home and under
Windows 7 at work.
(For a VM with Windows I'd need a second license and for using LINUX in the
VM I'd have a 3rd operating system to fiddle with).

I could however create a second user account in OS X for such purpose and
then try to sync the "shared" parts of the emacs/org-mode configuration
files.

I thought that it should be easy (give I know, how) to have 2 branches in my
mercurial repository, one for the "general settings" and one also containing
my private data.

Another solution might be to have 2 different stages of emacs/org-mode
configuration files and if necessary "reset" emacs and org-mode by a command
and then only load the "public" configuration for demo purpose.

Kind regards

Martin

@ 2013-10-14  5:22         ` Iannis Zannos
From: Iannis Zannos @ 2013-10-14  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M; +Cc: Karl Voit, Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode, Noorul Islam K M

Hello Martin,

for situations like this I would consider switching between branches on
Git. If you are using Mercurial, maybe there is a similar possibility.

Iannis Z.

@ 2013-10-15  2:31         ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2013-10-15  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M; +Cc: Karl Voit, Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode, Noorul Islam K M

On Oct 14, 2013, at 1:01 AM, M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:

> Running a virtual machine for the second setup is an interesting idea, but
> it is problematic, as I'm using MacOS X 10.6 and AFAIK it is not permitted
> to run it in a VM.

It is allowed according to the license as long as it is on Apple hardware. So running VMWare Fusion or Parallels on OS X, with another copy of OS X as the guest would be a possible solution.

* Re: Setup for switching between 2 org-mode configurations (demo/productive)?
@ 2013-10-31  0:44 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2013-10-31  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

M <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to set up org-mode in a way to separate my personal data from my
> gerenal settings.
>
> Why?
> I'd like to be able to quickly and easily create tutorials or minimal
> examples with sample data without having to worry about publishing
> private/personal information anywhere.
> So I'm searching for a way to "disable" all personal data with one command
> and easily re-enable them later.
>
> I assume that some of you already have something like that or can recommend
> a way for doing so?
> I'm using Mercurial for versioning my org-mode files (but honestly I have no
> ideas about the advanced features of version control like branching,
> merging, etc., I'm just abusing it for regularly storing backups of my setup
> and data and making a diff, if something got messed up or accidently
> deleted).
>
> Kind regards
>
> Martin

You might want to watch Cask.el [1] as you might be able to configure a
little emacs instace with only those things that you need for that demo
fairly easily. There are certainly some interesting things there.

Regards,
  Alex

___
[1]  https://github.com/cask/cask