* Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-06  4:10 Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-06  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I'm aware of passing variables through header arguments, and also inserting another source code block using the noweb syntax.
I was wondering, however, would it be possible to directly input values of properties inside source code blocks? For example,
* Subtree:PROPERTIES::DUMMY: Value:END:
#+BEGIN_SRC
{{DUMMY}} <- something like this?
#+END_SRC
Thank you so much,Joon

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-06 17:36 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-06 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joon Ro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Joon Ro wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm aware of passing variables through header arguments, and also
> inserting another source code block using the noweb syntax.

> I was wondering, however, would it be possible to directly input values
> of properties inside source code blocks? For example,

Yes. `org-property-values' does the trick

* Subtree
:PROPERTIES:
:DUMMY: Value
:END:

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :var dumdum=(car (org-property-values "DUMMY"))
echo $dumdum
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: Value

#+NAME: get-property
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var prop="prop"
(org-property-values prop)
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :noweb yes
(quote
<<get-property(prop="DUMMY")>>
)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| Value |

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-06 20:03   ` Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-06 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Yes. `org-property-values' does the trick
>

> * Subtree
> :PROPERTIES:
> :DUMMY: Value
> :END:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :var dumdum=(car (org-property-values "DUMMY"))
> echo $dumdum
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : Value
>
> #+NAME: get-property
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var prop="prop"
> (org-property-values prop)
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :noweb yes
> (quote
> <<get-property(prop="DUMMY")>>
> )
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> | Value |
>
> HTH,
>
> Chuck

Thank you so much for the reply - this would be very useful. Would there be, however, a way to directly replace some place holder inside a source code block? The reason is I have to put those values inside a comment, so I cannot pass them as variables.
Best,Joon

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-06 23:05     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-06 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joon Ro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016, Joon Ro wrote:

>> Yes. `org-property-values' does the trick
>>

>> * Subtree
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :DUMMY: Value
>> :END:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :var dumdum=(car (org-property-values "DUMMY"))
>> echo $dumdum
>> #+END_SRC

[deleted]

> Thank you so much for the reply - this would be very useful. Would there
> be, however, a way to directly replace some place holder inside a source
> code block?

I have no idea what you are asking.

> The reason is I have to put those values inside a comment,
> so I cannot pass them as variables.

So your original query about accessing property values from src blocks was
not what you wanted?

Examples of what one is trying to do - even if they do not work exactly as
intended - are often more helpful than verbal explanations of what one
would like to do.

Chuck

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-07  3:50       ` Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-07  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> I have no idea what you are asking.
>
> > The reason is I have to put those values inside a comment,
> > so I cannot pass them as variables.
>
> So your original query about accessing property values from src blocks was
> not what you wanted?
>
> Examples of what one is trying to do - even if they do not work exactly as
> intended - are often more helpful than verbal explanations of what one
> would like to do.
>
> Chuck

I'm sorry if my explanation was not clear, but the original example I provided shows exactly what I wanted to do:
* Subtree:PROPERTIES::DUMMY: VALUE:END:#+BEGIN_SRC{{DUMMY}} <- something like this?#+END_SRC
Basically, I want to replace {{DUMMY}} with VALUE, without passing it as a variable. So just like <<noweb>> replacement, but with a property value instead of a code block. I get the feeling that this is not possible, but I wanted to ask just in case.
Best,Joon

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-07 15:48         ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joon Ro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016, Joon Ro wrote:

>> I have no idea what you are asking.

[snip]

> I'm sorry if my explanation was not clear, but the original example I
> provided shows exactly what I wanted to do:

And my response showed how to do it: you construct a src block with a
noweb reference that places the *results* of evaluating another src block
in the code (or comment). The src block in the named in the noweb
reference handles retrieving the property value, viz.

* Subtree
:PROPERTIES:
:DUMMY: Value
:END:

#+NAME: get-property
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var prop="prop"
(car (org-property-values prop))
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes

echo <<get-property(prop="DUMMY")>>

#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: Value

See

   (info "(org) Noweb reference syntax")

Chuck

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-07 15:53           ` Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-07 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 08:48:03 -0700
> From: ccberry@ucsd.edu
> To: joon.ro@outlook.com
> Subject: Re: [O] Using property values in source code blocks
> CC: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2016, Joon Ro wrote:
>

> >> I have no idea what you are asking.
> >>

> [snip]
>
> > I'm sorry if my explanation was not clear, but the original example I
> > provided shows exactly what I wanted to do:
>
> And my response showed how to do it: you construct a src block with a
> noweb reference that places the *results* of evaluating another src block
> in the code (or comment). The src block in the named in the noweb
> reference handles retrieving the property value, viz.

> * Subtree
> :PROPERTIES:
> :DUMMY: Value
> :END:
>
> #+NAME: get-property
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var prop="prop"
> (car (org-property-values prop))
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes
>
> echo <<get-property(prop="DUMMY")>>
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : Value

> See
>
>    (info "(org) Noweb reference syntax")
>

> Chuck

I see. I must have misunderstood that example. I will try that - thank you so much!

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-15 23:38             ` Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-15 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> * Subtree
> :PROPERTIES:
> :DUMMY: Value
> :END:
>
> #+NAME: get-property
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var prop="prop"
> (car (org-property-values prop))
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes
>
> echo <<get-property(prop="DUMMY")>>
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : Value

It seems org-property-values gets the property value for the buffer - it ends up getting the property value from the last subtree in the buffer. I solved this by using either (org-entry-get nil prop) or (car (org-entry-get-multivalued-property nil prop)) instead of (car (org-property-values prop)).
Thanks again!-Joon

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-15 23:44               ` Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-15 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

It seems org-property-values gets the property value for the buffer - it ends up getting the property value from the last subtree in the buffer. I solved this by using either (org-entry-get nil prop) or (car (org-entry-get-multivalued-property nil prop)) instead of (car (org-property-values prop)).
I spoke too early - with (org-entry-get nil prop) I have to put the code block under the subtree I want to extract the property value from. Would it be possible to get the property value of the current subtree? For example, the following
* Top Heading#+NAME: get-property#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :noweb yes :var prop="prop"(car (org-entry-get-multivalued-property nil prop))#+END_SRC
** Subheading:PROPERTIES::DUMMY:    100:END:
#+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yesecho <<get-property(prop="DUMMY")>>#+END_SRC
yields nil.
Best Regards,Joon

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-16  2:05                 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-16  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joon Ro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Joon Ro wrote:

> I spoke too early - with (org-entry-get nil prop) I have to put the code
> block under the subtree I want to extract the property value from. Would
> it be possible to get the property value of the current subtree?

Give org-entry-get a suitable value for `pom'.

See the docstring for org-entry-get.

Example:

* Top Heading

#+NAME: get-property
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :noweb yes :var prop="prop" :var pom=0
(car (org-entry-get-multivalued-property pom prop))
#+END_SRC

** Subheading
:PROPERTIES:
:DUMMY: 100
:END:

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes
echo <<get-property(prop="DUMMY",pom=(point))>>
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 100

Chuck

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-16  2:47                   ` Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-16  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Example:

> * Top Heading
>
> #+NAME: get-property
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :noweb yes :var prop="prop" :var pom=0
> (car (org-entry-get-multivalued-property pom prop))
> #+END_SRC
>
> ** Subheading
> :PROPERTIES:
> :DUMMY: 100
> :END:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes
> echo <<get-property(prop="DUMMY",pom=(point))>>
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 100

Hi Chuck,
Thank you so much. It definitely works when I evaluate the code block - but my ultimate goal is to tangle the source code (I want to generate bunch of script files with a template using property values), and when I tangle the code block it returns nil. For example:
* Top Heading#+NAME: get-property#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :noweb yes :var prop="prop" :var pom=0(car (org-entry-get-multivalued-property pom prop))#+END_SRC** Subheading:PROPERTIES::DUMMY: 100:END:#+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes :tangle ./tangle-test.shecho <<get-property(prop="DUMMY",pom=(point))>>#+END_SRC
When I evaluate the code block, I get : 100 results. However, when I tangle the block, the resulting tangle-test.sh has echo nil instead of echo 100.
Am I doing something wrong? Thank you so much for your help.

@ 2016-07-16 16:02                     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joon Ro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Joon Ro wrote:

>> Example:

>> * Top Heading
>>
>> #+NAME: get-property
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :noweb yes :var prop="prop" :var pom=0
>> (car (org-entry-get-multivalued-property pom prop))
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> ** Subheading
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :DUMMY: 100
>> :END:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes
>> echo <<get-property(prop="DUMMY",pom=(point))>>
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+RESULTS:
>> : 100

> Hi Chuck,

> Thank you so much. It definitely works when I evaluate the code block -
> but my ultimate goal is to tangle the source code (I want to generate
> bunch of script files with a template using property values), and when I
> tangle the code block it returns nil.

I do not see an easy way to do what you want only with tangle.

There are hooks you can define that might enable you to set things up.
Maybe you can use `org-babel-pre-tangle-hook' to collect the property
values and put them somewhere that `org-babel-post-tangle-hook' can get at
them and use them to modify the tangled results accordingly. Or maybe
`org-babel-post-tangle-hook' can do it by using methods like those in
`org-babel-detangle' to look back at the *.org file.

Another alternative is to write all of your code blocks so they will
execute to create the code you want as results and then tangle those
results. You would use :wrap like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :noweb yes :wrap "src shell :tangle ./tangle-test.sh"
echo "echo " <<get-property(prop="DUMMY",pom=(point))>>
#+END_SRC

Execute the src block and then tangle the buffer.

In fact, if you go that route it might make more sense to write elisp
code blocks to find the prpoerty values and then format the results.

Chuck

* Re: Using property values in source code blocks
@ 2016-07-16 17:00                       ` Joon Ro
From: Joon Ro @ 2016-07-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org