* paralyzing bug: orgmode typeface gibberish
@ 2010-10-13 23:59 Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-10-13 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi —

My setup: Aquamacs 2.1 (Emacs 23), Orgmode 7.01h. This came about a few minutes ago, after a routine reboot.

When set to org-mode, my buffers now display some gibberish typeface that I don't recognize (forgive the attachment):

[-- Attachment #2: In org-mode, Screen shot 2010-10-13 at 4.54.42 PM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 35571 bytes --]

Same buffer, when flipped to text-mode:

[-- Attachment #4: In text-mode, Screen shot 2010-10-13 at 4.54.22 PM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31071 bytes --]

I am totally lost as to how to approach this. And, after a year of entwining myself deeper and deeper into org-mode, I am dead in the water. Maybe I will go take a walk. I understand there is an Outside World to visit.

Anyway, any thoughts?

— Michael

* Re: paralyzing bug: orgmode typeface gibberish
@ 2010-10-14  2:51 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-14  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I surmise it's a font-lock or faces issue. But I don't know enough
about that sort of thing to help much...

Maybe examine the faces? Customize group org-faces. See if the font is
set to webdings, dingbats, or something similar.

Jeff

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> wrote:
> Hi —
>
> My setup: Aquamacs 2.1 (Emacs 23), Orgmode 7.01h. This came about a few minutes ago, after a routine reboot.
>
> When set to org-mode, my buffers now display some gibberish typeface that I don't recognize (forgive the attachment):
>

> Same buffer, when flipped to text-mode:
>

> I am totally lost as to how to approach this. And, after a year of entwining myself deeper and deeper into org-mode, I am dead in the water. Maybe I will go take a walk. I understand there is an Outside World to visit.
>
> Anyway, any thoughts?
>
> — Michael

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: paralyzing bug: orgmode typeface gibberish
@ 2010-10-14 12:59   ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-10-14 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 13,2010, at 7:51 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:

> I surmise it's a font-lock or faces issue. But I don't know enough about that sort of thing to help much... Maybe examine the faces? Customize group org-faces. See if the font is
> set to webdings, dingbats, or something similar.

I had already looked at my faces customizations and couldn't see anything usual about them. Then I went ahead and reset all faces customization to defaults. No change in this odd behavior. But....

Thank you, Jeff. Your note prompted me to return to this line of investigation. I decided to just trash my customization file altogether as a test. Lo and behold, that fixed the problem. I have to rebuild my customizations, but that is a solvable problem. I still have no idea how this came about, why there was nothing visible wrong with the settings, and why resetting them from within Aquamacs didn't fix it. But, good enough!

Thank you, again.

— Michael