* Turn off #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE conversions?
@ 2016-09-22 20:56 David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2016-09-22 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have some text in an EXAMPLE block but on HTML export '<' and '>' are converted to their '&' equivalents.  Is there a way to turn this off on a per-instance basis?

For example, I have:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  T = X + Y1
#+END_EXAMPLE

and I'd like the '1' to be subscript.  But when I write:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  T = X + Y<sub>1</sub>
#+END_EXAMPLE

obviously the'<' and '>' are converted to &lt; and &gt;.  "Y_1" also won't work.

Is there a way/option to disable this conversion for that specific block?  Ex:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE :nointerpolation
  T = X + Y<sub>1</sub>
#+END_EXAMPLE

Thanks.
--
David A. Gershman, CISSP
dagershman@dagertech.net

* Re: Turn off #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE conversions?
       [not found] <b933896d72b349c0b856351fd1c5a192@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-09-23  6:22 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <e29f196377264c24a8d8effc322befcc@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Gershman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 21:56, David A. Gershman wrote:
> Is there a way/option to disable this conversion for that specific
> block?  Ex:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE :nointerpolation
>   T = X + Y<sub>1</sub>
> #+END_EXAMPLE

Maybe you could write the HTML directly using
#+BEGIN_EXPORT HTML
#+END_EXPORT

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.5.1, Org release_8.3.2-164-g50a182

* Re: Turn off #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE conversions?
@ 2016-09-23 17:39   ` David A. Gershman
       [not found]   ` <e29f196377264c24a8d8effc322befcc@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: David A. Gershman @ 2016-09-23 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I ended up doing that but then had to write the

   <pre class="example">
   </pre>

portion as well to keep the consistent look and feel.  So I was just
wondering.

Unfortunately, my attempt to keep all my course material in a single Org
file for simplicity is turning difficult.  Not just for this reason
(having to write /a lot/ of HTML due to the complexity of existing
notes), but I'm already over 3500 lines and haven't even started
styling/formatting or adding Babel-based created images.  Drat.

For anyone considering the same (porting existing web pages to Org),
I've notice this about Org HTML export: it does a great job for
documentation-type web pages or even simple presentations.  But if you
have complex pages you're trying to port to Org (nested tables,
horizontally arranged entities, pervasive colors), expect to spend some
time either:

  1) Bending Org to what you can and then probably having raw HTML
     inserted in several areas, or
  2) Seriously re-thinking how you present the information at hand.

Thx.  Now on to styling/formatting...

@ 2016-09-24 10:54     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-24 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Gershman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Friday, 23 Sep 2016 at 17:39, David A. Gershman wrote:

[...]

>   2) Seriously re-thinking how you present the information at hand.

Yes, this is key.  Org, for all of its power, is not a panacea.  You do
need to think about the target(s).

I have found that, in my case, for lectures, the simpler the slide, the
more likely it is going to work when exporting as PDF (beamer) and HTML
(including the various presentation flavours, but especially
reveal.js).  And the bonus is that the simpler slides work better for
pedagogical reasons as well!

I think this is true whether you have all your content in one org file
or split into smaller files.

Anyway, good luck with your styling etc.!

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.1.50.1, Org release_8.3.6-1149-g582233