* possible Bug in export-Region-as-HTML
@ 2008-07-22 14:33 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2008-07-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hello everyone,

Org-mode version 6.05b
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

I think I found a bug in the org-export-region-as-html function
(or, perhaps I misunderstood the meaning of the function)

---------- org file: ----------
#+TITLE:
#+AUTHOR:
#+EMAIL:
#+LANGUAGE:  en

* first
hi
** 2nd
hello
*** 3rd
it's me!
**** 4th
bye! . .<- cursor there

* this one no!
------------------------
If I select the region from the first heading, i.e. C-SPC on
the * of "* first", and to the point between the 2 full stops
(on line 14, column 6, you can either do M-w or not),
then C-c C-e S-R, to export only the selected region,
the exporter

1. exports the first heading as the title of the HTML file
2. exports "first" as the first heading
   but does *not* export the text "hi"
3. does not use <h2 > for defining the second level
   i.e. "2nd"  , but <h3>

I attach the two files:
region.html (exported region)
and all.html (all the document),
unfortunately I cannot run diff here in XP :-(

cheers,
Giovanni

      Posta, news, sport, oroscopo: tutto in una sola pagina.
Crea l&#39;home page che piace a te!
www.yahoo.it/latuapagina

[-- Attachment #2: region.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 1698 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: all.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 1994 bytes --]

* Re: possible Bug in export-Region-as-HTML
@ 2008-07-23 14:41 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2008-07-23 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

/punk: DIMyself ;-)
--- Mar 22/7/08, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> ha scritto:
> ---------- org file: ----------
>           ####  blank line here
> * first
> hi
> ** 2nd
> hello
> *** 3rd
> it's me!
> **** 4th
> bye! . .<- cursor within dots
>---------------------------------------
> 1. exports the first heading as the title of the HTML file
> :-(

If you want the exporter performs correctly,
THEN just set the mark (C-SPC) in a blank line
*before* the heading you want to export.

> 2. exports "first" as the first heading
I cannot reproduce this anymore.

>    but does *not* export the text "hi"
> 3. does not use <h2 > for defining the second level
>    i.e. "2nd"  , but <h3>

Well if the region includes another "first heading"
i.e.:
------------------
* first
 hi
** 2nd
hello
*** 3rd
* first after 3rd
it's me!
**** 4th
 bye! . .<- cursor within dots
---------------------

everything goes well:
1. corsor on "* first",
2. no title,
3. "* first" is <h2> , "** 2nd" <h3> and so on.

In conclusion I think it can be added to the documentation
of the function "org-export-region-as-html"
something like that:
"The region to be exported should begin
from a blank line before the headng of interest"

@ 2008-07-23 17:43   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-23 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovanni.ridolfi; +Cc: org-mode

This is fixed now, thanks for the report.  It was cause by a
interference between the following two features:

1. If you use org-export-region-as-html, only the current
    region is exported
2. If you select a subtree as a region and then use the
    normal org-export-as-html, this means that the subtree should
    be exported, using the first headline in the tree as the heading.

Maybe (2) should not even exist, or at least be a separate command,
this is quite confusing.

- Carsten