* org mode capture to headline at point
@ 2016-05-13 15:08 Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-05-13 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

any one knows how to launch a capture (thats pre defined) but auto refile
that capture to the/beneath the current header at point?

thx

* Re: org mode capture to headline at point
@ 2016-05-13 17:07 ` Phil Hudson
From: Phil Hudson @ 2016-05-13 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On Fri, 13 May 2016 at  4:08:04 pm BST, Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> wrote:

> any one knows how to launch a capture (thats pre defined) but auto refile that
> capture to the/beneath the current header at point?

Hope I've understood your requirement correctly. I think this will do
what you want:

If you can redefine the capture template, then use the 'function' target
location option and specify a function that either does nothing (if you
will always have point /exactly/ where you want the capture inserted
before you invoke capture), or else one that inserts the start of a new
entry below point. Then you can just C-c C-c to get your capture where
you want it instead of C-c C-w, no refile required.

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

* Re: org mode capture to headline at point
@ 2016-05-24 15:27 ` Ian McB
From: Ian McB @ 2016-05-24 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
> any one knows how to launch a capture (thats pre defined) but auto refile
that capture to the/beneath the current header at point?

> thx

A while back I stumbled onto this thread looking for the same problem. Like
Phil Hudson suggested I created a capture template using a custom function.
I'll share my solution below.

one of the capture templates using the function:
     ("ss" "Future subtask" entry
      (function my-org-move-point-to-capture)
      "* TODO %?
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Created: %U
  :END:")

the necessary function
(defun my-org-move-point-to-capture ()
  (cond ((org-at-heading-p) (org-beginning-of-line))
        (t (org-previous-visible-heading 1))))

So pretty simple all in all. Keep in mind I'm pretty new to Elisp, Emacs and
org-mode. One gotcha in writing the function which I didn't find easily
documented was that (point) needs to end up over the asterisk starting a
headline to result in the capture being a subheading of that headline. The
behaviour to end up at that asterisk is different depending on whether point
is in the body of the heading or on the headline itself at the time of
capturing.

Hope this is useful. I've been wanting to subscribe to this list for a while
now, to ask about some bugs and strange behaviours.

* Re: org mode capture to headline at point
@ 2016-05-28  5:49   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-05-28  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian McB; +Cc: org mode

Thx ian

this is very useful!

i wonder if any of the elisp gurus would know a workaround the fact that
the point needs to be on the starting asterix? it would be cool to just not
worry where the point is in the current header and have the capture add
another same level header below

best

@ 2016-05-28 14:00     ` yanmcbe
From: yanmcbe @ 2016-05-28 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Thanks!

You misunderstood though! Ending up over the asterisk is what my function
does (if it works as intended)! So it should work anywhere in the heading?

* Re: org mode capture to headline at point
@ 2016-05-29 15:07       ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-05-29 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yanmcbe; +Cc: org mode