* RFI: LaTeX - AUTO for \usepackage{inputenc}
@ 2024-02-01  7:07 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-01  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

HI,

some days ago I sent a proof-of-concept for customising the coding for the
inputenc package. Before continuing with this, I'd like to know what other
people think and/or need.

The simplest approach was in the PoC: a custom variable you can set in your
document/workspace/emacs configuration. AN alternative approach would be to
derive it from language.

What would be the best way to go forward?

Thx, /PA

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: RFI: LaTeX - AUTO for \usepackage{inputenc}
@ 2024-02-01 16:33   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org Mode List

Yes, indeed...
Thx for pointing out
/PA

--

@ 2024-02-01 16:35 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: Org Mode List

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> some days ago I sent a proof-of-concept for customising the coding for the
> inputenc package. Before continuing with this, I'd like to know what other
> people think and/or need.

Did you mean fontenc?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* [RFC] LaTeX - automatically configure encoding when exporting non-Latin languages
@ 2024-02-02 16:00 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-02 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: Org Mode List

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> some days ago I sent a proof-of-concept for customising the coding for the
> fontenc package. Before continuing with this, I'd like to know what other
> people think and/or need.
>
> The simplest approach was in the PoC: a custom variable you can set in your
> document/workspace/emacs configuration. AN alternative approach would be to
> derive it from language.
>
> What would be the best way to go forward?

Let me provide some context for this.

Org mode export to PDF should ideally work for any document language,
once it is specified:

#+title: چون عهده نمی‌شود کسی فردا را
#+LATEX_COMPILER: lualatex
#+LANGUAGE: fa

However, it is not entirely the case yet.

We do load correct punctuation rules, but the output pdf encoding and
fonts have to be configured manually, as discussed in
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87h6z7jq4o.fsf@localhost/

Pedro is proposing a step towards full automatic language configuration
- selecting the correct pdf output encoding:

https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CAO48Bk9Eo9zrgU7i7jMDcEAY120VZSHF70PdXOXKFCuKZGKGcg@mail.gmail.com/

The following should be enough to (1) load punctuation rules; (2) set
the correct pdf encoding.

#+title: چون عهده نمی‌شود کسی فردا را
#+LATEX_COMPILER: lualatex
#+LANGUAGE: fa
#+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[AUTO]{polyglossia}
#+latex_header: \usepackage[AUTO]{fontspec}

(setting the correct font is still not done - it is tricky since we
don't easily know which fonts are installed locally)

Pedro, correct me if I misunderstood something.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [RFC] LaTeX - automatically configure encoding when exporting non-Latin languages
@ 2024-02-02 16:18   ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-02 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez, Org Mode List

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> #+LANGUAGE: fa
> #+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[AUTO]{polyglossia}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage[AUTO]{fontspec}

I think Pedro is referring to fontenc not fontspec. fontenc cannot be
used in either lualatex or XelaTeX. fontspec is for advanced selection
of truetype and opentype fonts in XeLatex and LuaLaTeX and setting
opentype properties. fontenc is for 'pre-Unicode' LaTeX font encoding. I
would say that what Pedro proposes is limited only to the output in
pdfTeX.

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía

* Re: [RFC] LaTeX - automatically configure encoding when exporting non-Latin languages
@ 2024-02-02 16:41     ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, Org Mode List

Hi,

I’m just trying to cover the “legacy” latex.
I’ve finally migrated to lualatex for my stuff, and it has really been worthwhile. But who knows what a conference might want me to use ;-P

Differentiating between pdflatex and lualatex was what my last patch was for.

I also sent a PoC for the fontenc stuff a couple of weeks ago. And I was trying to continue this work and collect info needed for handling fontenc when you need pdflatex as your latex compiler.

Best, /PA