* Re: Re: LaTeX tutorial (focused on what Org exports) ??
@ 2023-01-04  7:18 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-01-04  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

David Masterson writes:
> "Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> On Sunday,  1 Jan 2023 at 13:43, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>>> I think that it is not very clear how to use it.
>>> Abstract says that it is self-explaining, but it appears that not every
>>> pdf viewer supports showing the explanations.
>>
>> Yes, that's true.  The PDF viewer has to support popups.  I normally use
>> zathura to view PDF documents but that's one example of a viewer that
>> doesn't work with this document.  In cases like this, I switch to evince
>> (others also work).
>>
>> But I find this document very useful.
>
>> Um, when I viewed it in my Emacs pdfviewer, it appeared to look fine
>> *EXCEPT* that it appeared to be in Latin (good Latin, I think, but I
>> don't read Latin).

LoL... My kleines Latinum, though not completely fit right now, tells me
that
indeed it is very, very good Latin :-)

Now seriously, I'm using org for my academic activities (producing lecture
presentations and notes and laboratory scripts) and I'm extremely happy with
what I achieve. There's always a slight grief in that I can't forward
search to
or reverse search from a PDF...

But anyhow, if you need a proofreader, happy to help..
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: LaTeX tutorial (focused on what Org exports) ??
@ 2023-01-06  6:21 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-01-06  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: Org Mode List

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> David Masterson writes:
>>>
>>> Yes, that's true.  The PDF viewer has to support popups.  I normally use
>>> zathura to view PDF documents but that's one example of a viewer that
>>> doesn't work with this document.  In cases like this, I switch to evince
>>> (others also work).
>>>
>>> But I find this document very useful.
>>
>>> Um, when I viewed it in my Emacs pdfviewer, it appeared to look fine
>>> *EXCEPT* that it appeared to be in Latin (good Latin, I think, but I
>>> don't read Latin).
>
> LoL... My kleines Latinum, though not completely fit right now, tells me that
> indeed it is very, very good Latin :-)

:-)

> Now seriously, I'm using org for my academic activities (producing lecture
> presentations and notes and laboratory scripts) and I'm extremely happy with
> what I achieve. There's always a slight grief in that I can't forward search to
> or reverse search from a PDF...
>
> But anyhow, if you need a proofreader, happy to help..

With the Org files that you create, how many levels of headers do you
use?  I use Org for personal task management mostly, but I'd like to
produce good PDFs to give to my wife (Org is too complicated).  My
problem is that I'll structure my documents with many (5+) header
levels with tasks at the bottom.  The problem is that the 'article' and
'report' document classes used by Org don't look right if you go beyond
3 levels -- if you know what I mean.  (NOTE: LaTeX newbie)

--
David Masterson

* Re: LaTeX tutorial (focused on what Org exports) ??
@ 2023-01-06 18:07   ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2023-01-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: Org Mode List

On 5 January 2023, David Masterson wrote:

> With the Org files that you create, how many levels of headers do you
> use?  I use Org for personal task management mostly, but I'd like to
> produce good PDFs to give to my wife (Org is too complicated).  My
> problem is that I'll structure my documents with many (5+) header
> levels with tasks at the bottom.  The problem is that the 'article' and
> 'report' document classes used by Org don't look right if you go beyond
> 3 levels -- if you know what I mean.  (NOTE: LaTeX newbie)

By default the first three levels go to LaTeX headings, and then after that they
become lists.  You can change that with the H option in a header, as described
here, to set org-export-headline-levels:

https://orgmode.org/org.html#Export-Settings

So you could say:

Level four headings become paragraphs, and level five become subparagraphs.

With that in place, you might like how the titlesec package can give a great
deal of control over section headings.  I use this for some reports---it wraps
text around level three headings, which about as far as I usually go for
documents I export.

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[]{titlesec}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \titleformat{\section} {\centering\Large}{\thesection}{}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \titleformat{\subsubsection}[drop]{\itshape}{\thesection}{}{}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\subsubsection}{0.75in}{\baselineskip}{0.5in}

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: LaTeX tutorial (focused on what Org exports) ??
@ 2023-01-06 23:57     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-01-06 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: Org Mode List

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> On 5 January 2023, David Masterson wrote:
>
>> With the Org files that you create, how many levels of headers do you
>> use?  I use Org for personal task management mostly, but I'd like to
>> produce good PDFs to give to my wife (Org is too complicated).  My
>> problem is that I'll structure my documents with many (5+) header
>> levels with tasks at the bottom.  The problem is that the 'article' and
>> 'report' document classes used by Org don't look right if you go beyond
>> 3 levels -- if you know what I mean.  (NOTE: LaTeX newbie)
>
> By default the first three levels go to LaTeX headings, and then after that they
> become lists.  You can change that with the H option in a header, as described
> here, to set org-export-headline-levels:
>
> https://orgmode.org/org.html#Export-Settings
>
> So you could say:

> Level four headings become paragraphs, and level five become subparagraphs.
>
> With that in place, you might like how the titlesec package can give a great
> deal of control over section headings.  I use this for some reports---it wraps
> text around level three headings, which about as far as I usually go for
> documents I export.
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[]{titlesec}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \titleformat{\section} {\centering\Large}{\thesection}{}{}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \titleformat{\subsubsection}[drop]{\itshape}{\thesection}{}{}{}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \titlespacing{\subsubsection}{0.75in}{\baselineskip}{0.5in}

This looks interesting -- now to find some time to dig in.  Thanks.

--
David Masterson