* dynamically set face [was: semi-visible stars?]
@ 2016-12-01 18:58 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2016-12-01 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been fooling around a little bit with color-themes and also the
>> new emacs 24+ custom themes, and find that (perhaps because of using
>> desktop-mode) there are certain traces of the theming that get left behind
>> in the display even when I've restarted Emacs after trying hard to erase
>> them.
>>
>> One of these is the frequent appearance of pale stars even when
>> org-indent-mode is turned on.  See the attached screenshot for details.
>> The initial stars in a lower-level headline are visible, as are leading
>> stars in front of the indented text.  I find this quite distracting! Does
>> anyone know what might be causing this, how I can get rid of them, and also
>> how I would in general go about figuring out how to identify the cause of
>> similar appearance-related issues in Emacs?
>>

> I just navigated to org-faces.el and executed M-C-x on this defface:
>
> (defface org-hide
>   '((((background light)) (:foreground "white"))
>     (((background dark)) (:foreground "black")))
>   "Face used to hide leading stars in headlines.
> The foreground color of this face should be equal to the background
> color of the frame."
>   :group 'org-faces)
>
> problem solved.  Sorry for the noise.
>
> OK, not solved, exactly. I have (setq color-theme-is-global t) in order to
differentiate between different frames (one for mail, one for code, one for
org).  When I switch between the mail frame (using the 'wheat' theme) and
the org frame (which uses a default theme), the color of org-hide seems to
get set to the light golden brown color that 'wheat' ueses as its
background color.  Here's the extremely short definition of the wheat
color-theme:

(defun color-theme-wheat ()
  "Default colors on a wheat background.
Calls the standard color theme function `color-theme-standard' in order
to reset all faces."
  (interactive)
  (color-theme-standard)
  (let ((color-theme-is-cumulative t))
    (color-theme-install
     '(color-theme-wheat
       ((background-color . "Wheat"))))))

I'm not sure why this messes up the other frames, but clearly it does.  I'm
thinking that if I can dynamically set the :foreground color to *whatever
the background color is in the frame*, that might fix the issue.  So I
tried this:

(defface org-hide
  '((((background light)) (:foreground (format (face-attribute 'default
:background)) ))
    (((background dark)) (:foreground (format (face-attribute 'default
:background)))))
  "Face used to hide leading stars in headlines.
The foreground color of this face should be equal to the background
color of the frame."
  :group 'org-faces)

but I get this error:

set-face-attribute: Wrong type argument: stringp, (format (face-attribute
(quote default) :background))

Obviously my understanding of lisp types is a little weak, but (type-of
(format (face-attribute 'default :background))) returns "string".  So
what's wrong here? And am I going about this the right way?

Thank you!