* missing frame title using org beamer export
@ 2015-12-02  6:42 mypostgtd
From: mypostgtd @ 2015-12-02  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

- issue: org mode beamer export ignored all frame titles

I've tried searching online for couple of hours, but couldn't find a solution.
Can someone please advise?

- debug trials and observations

1. The same org file works fine in org-mode version 7.8.08.

However, in org version 8.3.2, the frame titles are missing

2. I tried to add following to the .emacs, but it didn't seem to help.
[source: http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/10/
writing-presentations-with-org-mode-and.html]

;; allow for export=>beamer by placing

;; #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer in org files
(unless (boundp 'org-latex-classes)
  (setq org-latex-classes nil))
(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
 	     ;; beamer class, for presentations
 	     '("beamer"
 	       "\\documentclass\[8pt\]\{beamer\}\n
       \\mode<{{{beamermode}}}>\n
       \\usetheme{{{{beamertheme}}}}\n
       \\usecolortheme{{{{beamercolortheme}}}}\n
       \\beamertemplateballitem\n
       \\setbeameroption{show notes}
       \\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n
       \\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n
       \\usepackage{hyperref}\n
       \\usepackage{color}
       \\usepackage{listings}
       \\lstset{numbers=none,language=[ISO]C++,tabsize=4,
   frame=single,
   basicstyle=\\small,
   showspaces=false,showstringspaces=false,
   showtabs=false,
   keywordstyle=\\color{blue}\\bfseries,
   commentstyle=\\color{red},
   }\n
       \\usepackage{verbatim}\n
       \\institute{{{{beamerinstitute}}}}\n
        \\subject{{{{beamersubject}}}}\n"
 	       ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
 	       ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
 	       ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")
 	       ("\\paragraph\{%s\}" . "\\paragraph*\{%s\}")

 	        ;; ("\\begin{frame}[fragile]\\frametitle{%s}"
 	        ;; 	"\\end{frame}"
 	        ;; 	"\\begin{frame}[fragile]\\frametitle{%s}"
 	        ;; 	"\\end{frame}")
		))

- org file contents

#+STARTUP: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation, smaller]
#+BEAMER_THEME: Rochester
#+BEAMER_COLOR_THEME:
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 3

#+TITLE: Test Frame title
#+AUTHOR:  dummy
#+DATE:      \today

#+LANGUAGE:  en

* Section 1
** SubSection 1.1
*** Slide 1.1.1 frame title
    - blah blah I am first frame content
    - content itme 2
*** Slide 1.1.2 frame title
    - dummy
* Section 2
** SubSection 2.1
*** Slide 2.1.1 frame title
    - blah blah I am first frame content
    - content itme 2
*** Slide 2.1.2 frame title
    - block 1
      - item 1
      - item 2
    - block 2

- to debug, I used a fresh .emacs file, with minimum settings as below:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(org-beamer-frame-level 3)
 '(org-export-backends (quote (ascii beamer html icalendar latex org))))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

- As shown in the .tex file, the exported file is missing all frame titles.

\documentclass[presentation, smaller]{beamer}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{grffile}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{rotating}
\usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{capt-of}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\author{dummy}
\date{\today}
\title{Test Frame title}
\hypersetup{
 pdfauthor={dummy},
 pdftitle={Test Frame title},
 pdfkeywords={},
 pdfsubject={},
 pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.2 (Org mode 8.3.2)},
 pdflang={English}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\section{Section 1}
\label{sec:orgheadline4}
\subsection{SubSection 1.1}
\label{sec:orgheadline3}
\subsubsection{Slide 1.1.1 frame title}
\label{sec:orgheadline1}
\begin{itemize}
\item blah blah I am first frame content
\item content itme 2
\end{itemize}
\subsubsection{Slide 1.1.2 frame title}
\label{sec:orgheadline2}
\begin{itemize}
\item dummy
\end{itemize}
\section{Section 2}
\label{sec:orgheadline8}
\subsection{SubSection 2.1}
\label{sec:orgheadline7}
\subsubsection{Slide 2.1.1 frame title}
\label{sec:orgheadline5}
\begin{itemize}
\item blah blah I am first frame content
\item content itme 2
\end{itemize}
\subsubsection{Slide 2.1.2 frame title}
\label{sec:orgheadline6}
\begin{itemize}
\item block 1
\begin{itemize}
\item item 1
\item item 2
\end{itemize}
\item block 2
\end{itemize}
\end{document}

* Re: missing frame title using org beamer export
@ 2015-12-02 13:19 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-12-02 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mypostgtd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  2 Dec 2015 at 06:42, mypostgtd wrote:
> - issue: org mode beamer export ignored all frame titles
>
> I've tried searching online for couple of hours, but couldn't find a solution.
> Can someone please advise?

How did you actually export the file to beamer?  Your LaTeX file seems
to be the result of a LaTeX export, not beamer.  Your org file exports
just fine for me.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.5.1, Org release_8.3.2-359-g6b2c38

* Re: missing frame title using org beamer export
@ 2015-12-02 15:46   ` Jinli Feng
From: Jinli Feng @ 2015-12-02 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mypostgtd, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday,  2 Dec 2015 at 06:42, mypostgtd wrote:
> > - issue: org mode beamer export ignored all frame titles
> >
> > I've tried searching online for couple of hours, but couldn't find a
> solution.
> > Can someone please advise?
>
> How did you actually export the file to beamer?  Your LaTeX file seems
> to be the result of a LaTeX export, not beamer.  Your org file exports
> just fine for me.

Eric,

Thanks for the rely. I used "C-c C-e l p" to export the file. For some
reason "C-c C-e p" no longer works in orgmode v8.3. I'm yet to figure out
how to bind that key directly to pdf output. Is this the same as how you
exported the file?

@ 2015-12-02 16:21     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-12-02 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jinli Feng; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Jinli Feng <postgtd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday,  2 Dec 2015 at 06:42, mypostgtd wrote:
>> > - issue: org mode beamer export ignored all frame titles
>> >
>> > I've tried searching online for couple of hours, but couldn't find a
>> > solution.
>> > Can someone please advise?
>>
>> How did you actually export the file to beamer?  Your LaTeX file seems
>> to be the result of a LaTeX export, not beamer.  Your org file exports
>> just fine for me.
>

> Eric,
>
> Thanks for the rely. I used "C-c C-e l p" to export the file. For some
> reason "C-c C-e p" no longer works in orgmode v8.3. I'm yet to figure out
> how to bind that key directly to pdf output. Is this the same as how you
> exported the file?

As you may well be aware, Org changed a lot from 7.x -> 8.x. Have you
been through the various upgrade documents out there? This will be one
of many "surprises" you'll run into if you don't take a look.
- Official upgrade notes: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html
- Walkthrough attempt I made:
http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html
- Beamer for Org 8.x: http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html

In particular, I'm guessing you don't have the beamer class defined
and aren't aware of =C-c C-e l P= (note capital P), which is the
beamer export function now. It's just sufficient to just define the
class as beamer and export to LaTeX.

Quick answer: go to the second link above and copy that first code
block into your .emacs. Reload your config (or just restart emacs),
and do =C-c C-e l P=. See if that helps.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction!

John

@ 2015-12-02 18:03     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-12-02 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jinli Feng; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  2 Dec 2015 at 10:46, Jinli Feng wrote:

[...]

> Thanks for the rely. I used "C-c C-e l p" to export the file. For some

You want to do "C-c C-e l P" for beamer export.  Otherwise, you get
LaTeX export.  Your output may look like beamer in that it has used the
LaTeX beamer class (because that's what you told it to do) but it did
not parse the structure of the org file.

If you use "P" instead of "p", ox-beamer will interpret the headlines
properly and you do not need to set LATEX_CLASS.

You may need to add

(require 'ox-beamer)

to your emacs initialisation code.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.2-355-g18f083

* Re: missing frame title using org beamer export
@ 2015-12-02 18:17       ` Jinli Feng
From: Jinli Feng @ 2015-12-02 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:21 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Jinli Feng <postgtd@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How did you actually export the file to beamer?  Your LaTeX file seems
> >> to be the result of a LaTeX export, not beamer.  Your org file exports
> >> just fine for me.
> >

> > Eric,
> >
> > Thanks for the rely. I used "C-c C-e l p" to export the file. For some
> > reason "C-c C-e p" no longer works in orgmode v8.3. I'm yet to figure out
> > how to bind that key directly to pdf output. Is this the same as how you
> > exported the file?
>
> As you may well be aware, Org changed a lot from 7.x -> 8.x. Have you
> been through the various upgrade documents out there? This will be one
> of many "surprises" you'll run into if you don't take a look.
> - Official upgrade notes: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html
> - Walkthrough attempt I made:
>
> http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html
> - Beamer for Org 8.x:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
>
> In particular, I'm guessing you don't have the beamer class defined
> and aren't aware of =C-c C-e l P= (note capital P), which is the
> beamer export function now. It's just sufficient to just define the
> class as beamer and export to LaTeX.
>
> Quick answer: go to the second link above and copy that first code
> block into your .emacs. Reload your config (or just restart emacs),
> and do =C-c C-e l P=. See if that helps.

Thanks, John! I added the beamer definition and used the Upper case P which
almost did the trick, in the sense that all the headings are properly
exported and the frames look as expected. However, the pdf file is missing
the title and author, with only the date showing on the front page.  I
don't see anything obviously wrong in the tex file:

\author{dummy}
\date{\today}
\title{Test Frame title}
\hypersetup{
 pdfauthor={dummy},
 pdftitle={Test Frame title},
 pdfkeywords={},
 pdfsubject={},
 pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.2 (Org mode 8.3.2)},
 pdflang={English}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\begin{frame}{Outline}
\tableofcontents
\end{frame}

Any idea why?

btw. I searched for hours about migrating from v7 to v8 of orgmode, but
didn't come upon your blog. It could've saved me so much headache! Maybe we
should add yours as a link on the worg page? I've avoided the migration as
per the rule "not breaking what works", but it's time to take the plunge
and living through the growing pain :) Thanks for the help!

@ 2015-12-02 18:20       ` Jinli Feng
From: Jinli Feng @ 2015-12-02 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jinli Feng, emacs-orgmode