From: Andrew Young <youngar17@gmail.com>
To: Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Org Merge Driver Update
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 06:27:07 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi,
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> wrote:
> I'm very excited to start using this merge driver.  I've put together an
> Arch Linux User Repository (aur) package, which can be used by Arch
> Linux users to install the org-merge-driver with pacman.  It is
> available at [1],

Thank you so much for doing this! I'm also an Arch Linux user, and am
now using your package as well!

> if others find it useful and if Andrew doesn't object
> I'd be happy to push it into the official aur database.  It is very
> simple and installs directly from git.

Yes, of course I don't mind.  This would be _awesome_.

I just installed OMD through your package. Pretty exciting for
me! It took me a little bit to realize the linked file was not
corrupted ;), but HTML to the new package.

Regarding the gnulib dependency:

I have included the Gnulib sources which my project depends on
directly into the git repository. Because of this, gnulib shouldn't be
nessecary to build. I've done this for two main reasons:

1. I thought that would make the dependencies easier on everyone else
   to build and install.

2. I believe I've uncovered a bug in one of the sources I'm using, and
   so for the time being I'm using a slightly edited version.

I'm really not sure what the standard is for using GnuLib in a
project. I think that distributing Gnulib dependencies directly with a
project may be typical, given that it is used at the source level. (If
anyone has any opinion on this, please share)

For the time being, it may be best to leave Gnulib out as dependency,
until I find out what to do. Re-importing Gnulib modules may
reintroduce the problem I was having.

> I spent some time testing this locally and I've run into what appears to
> be an error.  Namely when merging a tree with multiple new sub-headings
> the merge completes successfully, but the subheadings from the OTHER
> branch are deleted by the merge.  Here [2] is a tarball of the entire
> git directory after the failed merge.  Please let me know if there is
> any other debug information I can provide.

Thank you for letting me know, and your detailed example.  This should
be fixed now, along with some other issues.

> Thanks,
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/org-merge-driver-20120815-1.src.tar.gz
>
> [2]  http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/fruit-test.tar.bz2
>
> --
> Eric Schulte
> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

Thanks again for doing all this, it's really appreciated!

Sincerely,
Andrew Young