* Re: Using Org for a dissertation - appendices
@ 2012-05-21  7:08 Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2012-05-21  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

2012/5/12 Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu>:
> (Henri-Paul, do you still read this list?)

Yes, I do.  Still using orgmode each day.

I do not have anything fancy going on and actually would like to know
how to set up appendices for LaTeX export.

I have the following outline:

* Review of Literature
* Methodology
* Findings
* Discussion
* Conclusion
* Footnotes
* References
* Appendices
** Appendix A
** Appendix B
** Appendix C

The LaTeX export of course does not know the that last chapter should
contain the appendices.  I have tried to insert several LaTeX commands
in the orgmode file, but I could not make it work.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine

Curriculum & Instruction
Texas A&M University
TutorFind Learning Centre
http://www.tutorfind.ca

Email: hindiogine@gmail.com
Skype: hindiogine

* Re: Using Org for a dissertation - appendices
@ 2012-05-21  9:53 ` Tim Burt
From: Tim Burt @ 2012-05-21  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> 2012/5/12 Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu>:
>> (Henri-Paul, do you still read this list?)
>
> Yes, I do.  Still using orgmode each day.
>
> I do not have anything fancy going on and actually would like to know
> how to set up appendices for LaTeX export.
>
> I have the following outline:
>
> * Review of Literature
> * Methodology
> * Findings
> * Discussion
> * Conclusion
> * Footnotes
> * References
> * Appendices
> ** Appendix A
> ** Appendix B
> ** Appendix C
>
> The LaTeX export of course does not know the that last chapter should
> contain the appendices.  I have tried to insert several LaTeX commands
> in the orgmode file, but I could not make it work.

Use the \appendix command to turn on alphabetic numbering.

> Does anyone have a suggestion?

If you want the last three headlines to each have a different letter,
then you make them top-level headlines instead of children:

* References
\appendix
* Appendix A
* Appendix B
* Appendix C

--
Tim Burt
www.rketburt.org

* Re: Using Org for a dissertation - appendices
@ 2012-05-21 13:25 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-05-21 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Henri-Paul Indiogine
<hindiogine@gmail.com> wrote:
> The LaTeX export of course does not know the that last chapter should
> contain the appendices.  I have tried to insert several LaTeX commands
> in the orgmode file, but I could not make it work.

This might help:

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10295177/is-there-an-equivalent-of-org-modes-b-ignoreheading-for-non-beamer-documents/10305270#10305270>

--
Suvayu

* Re: Using Org for a dissertation - appendices
@ 2012-05-23 10:19   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-23 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Henri-Paul Indiogine
> <hindiogine@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The LaTeX export of course does not know the that last chapter should
>> contain the appendices.  I have tried to insert several LaTeX commands
>> in the orgmode file, but I could not make it work.
>
> This might help:
>
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10295177/is-there-an-equivalent-of-org-modes-b-ignoreheading-for-non-beamer-documents/10305270#10305270>

If there is anything useful from the link above that should
be added to Worg, please let us know.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Using Org for a dissertation - appendices
@ 2012-05-23 10:29     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-05-23 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

>> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10295177/is-there-an-equivalent-of-org-modes-b-ignoreheading-for-non-beamer-documents/10305270#10305270>
>
> If there is anything useful from the link above that should
> be added to Worg, please let us know.

Well its just my customisation that lets me include Appendices and a
Bibliography in the regular org document tree for latex export. However
I have not ported my customisation to the new export engine.

For the last few months (and the coming month or two) I have been
extremely busy. When I have time I can write-up nicely for Worg and put
it in org-hacks (under LaTeX export). However if someone else could do
it earlier, you are welcome to give it a shot. :) I think the SO answer
is complete enough and can be included almost as is (except for the
missing new exporter changes). In any case, once there is an entry it
can be refined endlessly. :)

Suvayu