* How to use symbolic names to refer to spreadsheet fields containing irregular values
@ 2016-08-03 21:31 Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2016-08-03 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Dear all,

I would like to make the following work (with Org 8.3.5):

|---+----------+--------+---|
|   |    13:13 | -      | 1 |
| ^ |        h | s      | n |
|---+----------+--------+---|
|   | 13:13:00 | #ERROR | 1 |
|---+----------+--------+---|
#+TBLFM: @3$2=$h;T::@3$3=$s::@3$4=$n

I can give the field @1$2 the symbolic name $h, I can give the field
@1$4 the symbolic name $n, and I can successfully refer to both of them
in @3.

However I didn't manage to refer to @1$3 using the symbolic name $s.
The reason must be the value "-".  If I use an alphabetic string value,
it works.

Any ideas?  Or is this a bug?

Thank you very much in advance,

Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Lange, Enterprise Information Systems Department
Applied Computer Science @ University of Bonn; Fraunhofer IAIS

→ Please note: I will be on parental leave from 29 July to 28 October.
  Colleagues will stand in for me by project.

* Re: How to use symbolic names to refer to spreadsheet fields containing irregular values
@ 2016-08-04  6:42 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2016-08-04  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph LANGE; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Christoph

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Christoph LANGE
<math.semantic.web@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to make the following work (with Org 8.3.5):
>
> |---+----------+--------+---|
> |   |    13:13 | -      | 1 |
> | ^ |        h | s      | n |
> |---+----------+--------+---|
> |   | 13:13:00 | #ERROR | 1 |
> |---+----------+--------+---|
> #+TBLFM: @3$2=$h;T::@3$3=$s::@3$4=$n
>
> I can give the field @1$2 the symbolic name $h, I can give the field
> @1$4 the symbolic name $n, and I can successfully refer to both of them
> in @3.
>
> However I didn't manage to refer to @1$3 using the symbolic name $s.
> The reason must be the value "-".  If I use an alphabetic string value,
> it works.
>
> Any ideas?  Or is this a bug?
>
> Thank you very much in advance,

"-" is not a valid Calc expression. To copy literally one needs a Lisp
formula:

|   |    13:13 | - | 1 |
|   | 13:13:00 | - | 1 |
#+TBLFM: @3$2 = $h; T :: @3$3 = '(identity "$s") :: @3$4 = $n