* Remote References to Tables in Included Files.
@ 2013-12-12 14:32 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2013-12-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am trying to combine summary data from org tables. Data for each year
is stored in a separate org file, with a table for each month. I have
created a file called combined.org, which INCLUDES the org files for
each of the 12 months.

Can't find remote table "october2012".

examplea.org:

* November.
#+tblname: november2013
|------------------+----------+-----------|
| Date             | Distance | Heading 3 |
|------------------+----------+-----------|
| [2012-11-03 Sat] |    42.70 |           |
| [2012-11-04 Sun] |    31.97 |           |
| Total            |    74.67 |           |
|------------------+----------+-----------|

exampleb.org:

* November.
#+tblname: november2013
|------------------+----------+-----------|
| Date             | Distance | Heading 3 |
|------------------+----------+-----------|
| [2012-11-03 Sat] |    42.70 |           |
| [2012-11-04 Sun] |    31.97 |           |
| Total            |    74.67 |           |
|------------------+----------+-----------|

combined.org:

#+INCLUDE: "./examplea.org"
#+INCLUDE: "./exampleb.org"

* Monthly Totals.

#+tblname: monthly_total_mileage
|-------+----------|
| Month | Distance |
|-------+----------|
| Oct   |          |
| Nov   |          |
|-------+----------|
| Total |          |
|       |          |
|-------+----------|
#+TBLFM: @2$2 = remote(october2012,@2$2)::@3$2 = remote(november2013,@3$2)::

Ian.

* Re: Remote References to Tables in Included Files.
@ 2014-01-04 14:19 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-04 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: ian, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ian,

quoting the manual:

  Remote references

  You may also reference constants, fields and ranges from a different
  table, either in the current file or even in a different file.  The
  syntax is

       remote(NAME-OR-ID,REF)

  where NAME can be the name of a table in the current file as set by
  a `#+NAME: Name' line before the table.  It can also be the ID of an
  entry, even in a different file, and the reference then refers to
  the first table in that entry.  REF is an absolute field or range
  reference as described above for example `@3$3' or `$somename',
  valid in the referenced table.

For remote references in other files, you need to use entry IDs,
not tables names.  At least this is how I understand it.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Remote References to Tables in Included Files.
@ 2014-01-04 15:41 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2014-01-04 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Ian

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> wrote:
> I am trying to combine summary data from org tables.
> [...]
> #+TBLFM: @2$2 = remote(october2012,@2$2)::@3$2 = remote(november2013,@3$2)::
> [...]

Just a few days ago I have implemented remote reference indirection
for name or ID which you might find useful for your use case. Please
see here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-01/msg00118.html

Michael