* How to put a Greek sigma into the spreadsheet?
@ 2013-06-03 10:53 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-06-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

basically the subject has it.  While :=string("asdf")
works, :=string("Σ") does not.  I suspect the reason is that this is
not an ASCII symbol.  Is there a way to get around this problem?

(My use case is a row which should show the sum the columns, and I
wanted the sigma in the first column.  I don't *need* it very badly,
and I could get away with TeX-like \Sigma, but maybe there's some neat
trick to get the Unicode one?)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to put a Greek sigma into the spreadsheet?
@ 2013-06-03 12:01 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-06-03 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> I could get away with TeX-like \Sigma, but maybe there's some neat
> trick to get the Unicode one?)

Use TeX as an input method and enter \Sigma.  That's it.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-06/msg00022.html

* Re: How to put a Greek sigma into the spreadsheet?
@ 2013-06-03 12:18 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2013-06-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marcin

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> basically the subject has it.  While :=string("asdf")
> works, :=string("Σ") does not.  I suspect the reason is that this is
> not an ASCII symbol.  Is there a way to get around this problem?

The function "string" of Calc does not support characters above 127,
see towards the end of
(info "(calc) Strings")
or
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/calc/Strings.html

If I understand your example you can use just

| item | value |
|------+-------|
| a    |     1 |
| b    |     2 |
|------+-------|
| ∑    |     3 |
#+TBLFM: @>$2 = vsum(@I..@>>)

or

| item | value |
|------+-------|
| a    |     1 |
| b    |     2 |
|------+-------|
|      | ∑ = 3 |
#+TBLFM: @>$2 = vsum(@I..@>>); ∑ = %d

Michael

* Re: How to put a Greek sigma into the spreadsheet?
@ 2013-06-03 12:28   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-06-03 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand

Dnia 2013-06-03, o godz. 14:18:33
Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Hi Marcin
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> > basically the subject has it.  While :=string("asdf")
> > works, :=string("Σ") does not.  I suspect the reason is that this is
> > not an ASCII symbol.  Is there a way to get around this problem?
>
> The function "string" of Calc does not support characters above 127,
> see towards the end of
> (info "(calc) Strings")
> or
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/calc/Strings.html
>
> If I understand your example you can use just
>
> | item | value |
> |------+-------|
> | a    |     1 |
> | b    |     2 |
> |------+-------|
> | ∑    |     3 |
> #+TBLFM: @>$2 = vsum(@I..@>>)

Well, I forgot to mention that the first column has a column formula
(something like =@-1+1, so that I get row numbering).  I should
probably use a range formula instead.

> or
>
> | item | value |
> |------+-------|
> | a    |     1 |
> | b    |     2 |
> |------+-------|
> |      | ∑ = 3 |
> #+TBLFM: @>$2 = vsum(@I..@>>); ∑ = %d

That's interesting, thanks!

> Michael

Best,

--

@ 2013-06-03 12:29   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-06-03 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-06-03, o godz. 17:31:17
Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
> > I could get away with TeX-like \Sigma, but maybe there's some neat
> > trick to get the Unicode one?)
>
> Use TeX as an input method and enter \Sigma.  That's it.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-06/msg00022.html

The point is, I do not want to export the table, just use/display it in
Org.  So "\Sigma" doesn't look very cool (though, as I said, I could
live with it.)

--

@ 2013-06-03 12:42     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-06-03 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-06-03, o godz. 14:29:22
Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisał(a):

> Dnia 2013-06-03, o godz. 17:31:17
> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
> > Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
> >
> > > I could get away with TeX-like \Sigma, but maybe there's some neat
> > > trick to get the Unicode one?)
> >
> > Use TeX as an input method and enter \Sigma.  That's it.
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-06/msg00022.html
> >

> The point is, I do not want to export the table, just use/display it
> in Org.  So "\Sigma" doesn't look very cool (though, as I said, I
> could live with it.)

Sorry, I misread your answer.  My problem is not in *entering* sigma (I
used C-x 8 RET and the unicode name, though the TeX input method is
also a viable solution); the problem was connected with my column
formula messing up with my sigma, and I wanted it to be entered by a
field formula.

Thanks anyway,

--

@ 2013-06-03 12:43     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-06-03 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marcin,

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> The point is, I do not want to export the table, just use/display it in
> Org.  So "\Sigma" doesn't look very cool (though, as I said, I could
> live with it.)

Use C-x RET C-\ TeX RET to select TeX as the input method, then
type \Sigma to insert the character.

--
 Bastien

* Re: How to put a Greek sigma into the spreadsheet?
@ 2013-06-03 12:44     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2013-06-03 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcin

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Well, I forgot to mention that the first column has a column formula
> (something like =@-1+1, so that I get row numbering).  I should
> probably use a range formula instead.

Yes, exactly.

Michael