* org-bable and gnuplot
@ 2011-09-01 16:59 Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2011-09-01 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I am planning to use gnuplot to plot some data that I have in org table.
Everything is set-up correctly and gnuplot is installed my mac.
Unfortunately, when I run the following org file I get a zero byte file --
everything seems to run ok, except nothing is written to the output file.
Does anybody know what I am doing wrong ?

#+tblname: testing
| x |  y |
|---+----|
| 1 |  2 |
| 2 |  4 |
| 3 |  6 |
| 4 |  8 |
| 5 | 10 |
| 6 | 12 |
| 7 | 14 |
| 8 | 16 |
#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=testing :file output.eps :exports both
set title "test"
set auto x
set style data histogram
set style fill solid border -1
set boxwidth 0.9
plot data using 1:2
#+end_src

#+results:
[[file:output.eps]]
cheers

* Re: org-bable and gnuplot
@ 2011-09-01 18:13 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marvin Doyley <marvinpas@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am planning to use gnuplot to plot some data that I have in org table.
> Everything is set-up correctly and gnuplot is installed my mac.
> Unfortunately, when I run the following org file I get a zero byte file --
> everything seems to run ok, except nothing is written to the output file.
> Does anybody know what I am doing wrong ?
>
> #+tblname: testing
> | x |  y |
> |---+----|
> | 1 |  2 |
> | 2 |  4 |
> | 3 |  6 |
> | 4 |  8 |
> | 5 | 10 |
> | 6 | 12 |
> | 7 | 14 |
> | 8 | 16 |
> #+begin_src gnuplot :var data=testing :file output.eps :exports both
> set title "test"
> set auto x
> set style data histogram
> set style fill solid border -1
> set boxwidth 0.9
> plot data using 1:2
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> [[file:output.eps]]
> cheers

Hi Marvin,

I just tried your example locally, and I also got an empty .eps file.  I
then jumped to the *gnuplot* buffer where I saw the following.

,----
| gnuplot> data = "/tmp/babel-4592fc8/gnuplot-4592Pna"
| gnuplot> set term eps
|                   ^
|          unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
|
| gnuplot> set output "output.eps"
| gnuplot> set title "test"
| gnuplot> set auto x
| gnuplot> set style data histogram
| gnuplot> set style fill solid border -1
| gnuplot> set boxwidth 0.9
| gnuplot> plot data using 1:2
|               ^
|          use 'set term' to set terminal type first
|
| gnuplot>
`----

so if your gnuplot is like my gnuplot then "eps" is not a known terminal
type.  I'd suggest trying the following.  Also, notice that I changed
your "plot" line -- histograms are not intuitive in gnuplot.

#+tblname: gnuplot-testing
| x |  y |
|---+----|
| 1 |  2 |
| 2 |  4 |
| 3 |  6 |
| 4 |  8 |
| 5 | 10 |
| 6 | 12 |
| 7 | 14 |
| 8 | 16 |

#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=gnuplot-testing :file output.eps :exports both
set term postscript
set title "test"
set auto x
set style data histogram
set style fill solid border -1
set boxwidth 0.9
plot data using 2:xtic(1)
#+end_src

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: org-bable and gnuplot
@ 2011-09-01 18:21   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-09-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Marvin Doyley, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marvin Doyley <marvinpas@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am planning to use gnuplot to plot some data that I have in org table.
> > Everything is set-up correctly and gnuplot is installed my mac.
> > Unfortunately, when I run the following org file I get a zero byte file --
> > everything seems to run ok, except nothing is written to the output file.
> > Does anybody know what I am doing wrong ?

<snip>

> so if your gnuplot is like my gnuplot then "eps" is not a known terminal
> type.  I'd suggest trying the following.  Also, notice that I changed
> your "plot" line -- histograms are not intuitive in gnuplot.

<snip>

> #+begin_src gnuplot :var data=gnuplot-testing :file output.eps :exports both
> set term postscript
> set title "test"
> set auto x
> set style data histogram
> set style fill solid border -1
> set boxwidth 0.9
> plot data using 2:xtic(1)
> #+end_src

Shameless plug: this and more is available at the orgmode gnuplot
babel documentation on Worg. Check it out if you're interested.
--- Top level: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html
--- This in particular (generating eps files):
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html#sec-7_2

* Re: org-bable and gnuplot
@ 2011-09-01 20:20     ` Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2011-09-01 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)