* Org mode pollutes the narrow-map
@ 2019-08-23  0:47 Omar Antolín Camarena
From: Omar Antolín Camarena @ 2019-08-23  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

Does it seems a little rude that Org mode binds its own narrowing commands in the global narrow-map?

You can find this in org.el starting at line 19018:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  ;;;; Narrow map
  (org-defkey narrow-map "s" #'org-narrow-to-subtree)
  (org-defkey narrow-map "b" #'org-narrow-to-block)
  (org-defkey narrow-map "e" #'org-narrow-to-element)
#+end_src

I don't need or really want those commands bound in non-org buffers. I think it would be better to bind them (to C-x n s, C-x n b and C-x n e) in org-mode-map. This is the approach taken by AUCTeX, for example. (To be clear, I mean AUCTeX has some narrowing commands and it binds them to C-x n e and C-x n g in its own keymaps.)

--
Omar Antolín Camarena

* Re: Org mode pollutes the narrow-map
@ 2019-08-23  8:40 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-08-23  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Antolín Camarena; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Omar Antolín Camarena <omar@matem.unam.mx> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Does it seems a little rude that Org mode binds its own narrowing commands in the global narrow-map?
>
> You can find this in org.el starting at line 19018:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   ;;;; Narrow map
>   (org-defkey narrow-map "s" #'org-narrow-to-subtree)
>   (org-defkey narrow-map "b" #'org-narrow-to-block)
>   (org-defkey narrow-map "e" #'org-narrow-to-element)
> #+end_src
>
> I don't need or really want those commands bound in non-org buffers.
> I think it would be better to bind them (to C-x n s, C-x n b and C-x
> n e) in org-mode-map. This is the approach taken by AUCTeX, for
> example. (To be clear, I mean AUCTeX has some narrowing commands and
> it binds them to C-x n e and C-x n g in its own keymaps.)

It sounds reasonable. I changed the bindings in master. Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org mode pollutes the narrow-map
@ 2019-08-23 10:10   ` Omar Antolín Camarena
From: Omar Antolín Camarena @ 2019-08-23 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)