* BIDI and org-mime-htmlize
@ 2015-03-13 12:14 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-03-13 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

GNU emacs 24 has BIDI support, for languages such as Hebrew and Arabic.

However when I write an email, and send it via say gnus, the mail text
received it is displayed correctly with one restriction: The text is
displayed in most mail agents, at the left margin instead of the right
margin (I cannot write this here, since it would not displayed
correctly)

Thunderbird offers BIDI email support via HTML. The relevant HTML
elements seem to be

So the question is could org-mime-htmlize support this element (on
demand as well for example via (defvar org-mime-htmlize-rtl t)??

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: BIDI and org-mime-htmlize
@ 2015-03-14  8:58 ` Dotan Cohen
From: Dotan Cohen @ 2015-03-14  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hello
>
> GNU emacs 24 has BIDI support, for languages such as Hebrew and Arabic.
>
> However when I write an email, and send it via say gnus, the mail text
> received it is displayed correctly with one restriction: The text is
> displayed in most mail agents, at the left margin instead of the right
> margin (I cannot write this here, since it would not displayed
> correctly)
>
> Thunderbird offers BIDI email support via HTML. The relevant HTML
> elements seem to be

> So the question is could org-mime-htmlize support this element (on
> demand as well for example via (defvar org-mime-htmlize-rtl t)??

The responsibility for determining if the paragraph is RTL or LTR
depends on the client rading the email, not the author. Since most
clients are not RTL aware (Thunderbird needs an addon to make it RTL
aware) the email author can use HTML which allows one to mark the
paragraphs or entire mail as RTL.

If HTML mail is not an option, you can precede the mail (or every
paragraph, again this is reading-client dependent) with the
non-printing RLE (Right-to-Left Embedding) character.

More info here, including RLE character and other characters that you
can copy and paste into your emails:
http://dotancohen.com/howto/rtl_right_to_left.html

--
Dotan Cohen