* Why are (UU)IDs limited to the headline level?
@ 2021-01-18  2:17 arozbiz
From: arozbiz @ 2021-01-18  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

I'm just getting into Emacs/Org-Mode. It's clearly an amazing system and
the linking via UUID is very useful. My question is: why is linking by UUID
(and, more generally, the creation of properties drawers) limited to
headlines, and not to sub-elements like list elements or paragraphs?
Doesn't all the necessary structural information exist to assign UUIDs to
everything?

The reason I'm asking is that getting into Org-Roam, the linking for which
relies on Org UUIDs for headlines. If UUIDs were available for all elements
of an Org file, that will allow for more granular linking behavior.

Thanks,
Alan

* Re: Why are (UU)IDs limited to the headline level?
@ 2021-01-19  0:14 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-01-19  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arozbiz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

arozbiz@gmail.com writes:

> I'm just getting into Emacs/Org-Mode. It's clearly an amazing system and
> the linking via UUID is very useful. My question is: why is linking by UUID
> (and, more generally, the creation of properties drawers) limited to
> headlines, and not to sub-elements like list elements or paragraphs?
> Doesn't all the necessary structural information exist to assign UUIDs to
> everything?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that getting into Org-Roam, the linking for which
> relies on Org UUIDs for headlines. If UUIDs were available for all elements
> of an Org file, that will allow for more granular linking behavior.

You can use <<some-anchor-name>> to make it possible to link to any
place in a document.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Why are (UU)IDs limited to the headline level?
@ 2021-01-19  2:06   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-19  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, arozbiz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> You can use <<some-anchor-name>> to make it possible to link to any
> place in a document.

It does not work globally though. One cannot just put
[[id:some-anchor-name]] link in other file.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Why are (UU)IDs limited to the headline level?
@ 2021-01-19 16:10     ` arozbiz
From: arozbiz @ 2021-01-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, emacs-orgmode