* Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-19  2:10 Dan LaManna
From: Dan LaManna @ 2014-03-19  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but those on #org-mode prompted
me to post it.

GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
Org version 8.2.5c

If you take the following minimal example of an org file:
* A
** B
*** TODO C
*** D
*** E

And navigate to TODO C from an agenda buffer this will be the
*displayed* text:
* A
** B
*** TODO C
*** D...

Leaving it to appear that D has children, when it in fact has a sibling
that's been hidden.

Is this some type of custom variable I'm missing, or is this working as
intended - or is this truly a bug?

May be worth mentioning, myself and others in #org-mode have noticed
this happening in other contexts, however this was the only reproducible
method.

- dan lamanna

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-19 10:01 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-19 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan LaManna; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Dan,

you need to have (agenda t) in `org-show-siblings'.

See `org-show-siblings' docstring for details.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-19 20:09   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-19 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

I think there must be a bunch of us who are experiencing
this, because I am too.

The fix does not work for me.

3b is never shown.

* test 1
*** 2a
SCHEDULED: <2014-03-19 Wed>
***** 3a
***** 3b
*** 2b

On 3/19/14, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> you need to have (agenda t) in `org-show-siblings'.
>
> See `org-show-siblings' docstring for details.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
>  Bastien

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-19 23:05     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-19 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

> I think there must be a bunch of us who are experiencing
> this, because I am too.
>
> The fix does not work for me.
>
> 3b is never shown.
>
> * test 1
> *** 2a
> SCHEDULED: <2014-03-19 Wed>
> ***** 3a
> ***** 3b
> *** 2b

This is not the same case: in Dan's example, the sibling (at the same
level) was not shown.  In your example, the second entry below is not
shown, which is the expected behavior.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-19 23:30       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

for the first time in many, many years of HATING this behavior and
trying to debug it and trying to defadvice around it, i have a lead on
it.  thank you.

so where is the setting to show EVERYTHING?

this is HUGE.

@ 2014-03-19 23:36         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-19 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

> so where is the setting to show EVERYTHING?

(add-hook 'org-agenda-after-show-hook 'show-all)

:)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-20  0:13           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

expands logbook, but i can take it from here.  thank you!

unfortunately, that is not a global solution as there are various
other places where the same behavior occurs.

@ 2014-03-20  7:11             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-20  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

Hi Samuel,

> unfortunately, that is not a global solution as there are various
> other places where the same behavior occurs.

Please report them when you have time and when you're sure this is
not the intended behavior.

 Bastien

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-20 20:09               ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-20 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

i will try to do so.  i have been writing a long bug report on it for years.

from memory, going from magit does this type of thing, as do query
replace, isearch, and a few other things.  they all cause this type of
bug.

my strong intuition says that it calls for a global solution rather
than patching each one as it comes up.

@ 2014-03-20 21:59                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-20 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

Hi Samuel,

> my strong intuition says that it calls for a global solution rather
> than patching each one as it comes up.

There is this bug report I made recently:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/83721

I would love to have this fixed for Emacs 24.4, not sure
I'll have the time given the current undergoing work on
Org.  But that's part of the problem you encounter.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-21 21:25                   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-21 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

On 3/20/14, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>> my strong intuition says that it calls for a global solution rather
>> than patching each one as it comes up.
>
> There is this bug report I made recently:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/83721

interesting.  these topics are worth looking at.

as for org contexts, perhaps we need something like an
org-show-canonical-form, where canonical form is a state of visibility
that can be created from a folded org file using TAB and arrow keys
alone.

@ 2014-03-21 22:09                     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-21 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

> as for org contexts, perhaps we need something like an
> org-show-canonical-form, where canonical form is a state of visibility
> that can be created from a folded org file using TAB and arrow keys
> alone.

You mean `org-reveal' should depend on the some hardcoded visibility
property rather on the user preferences?  I'm not sure I completely
grok what you refer to here, sorry.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-21 22:58                       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-21 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

i am saying that i prefer [and i believe new users will often prefer]
that org not hide things unless they are just normal folding.  this
preference is currently impossible to convey to org.

===

more details:

i do not ever want to see only the first headline of a set of
headlines, for example.  it is too confusing to think that that is the
only headline.  it is too troublesome to have to go to the parent and
cycle twice just to show the headlines.

this default is one of several that i want to erase.  and yet it is
the default behavior and cannot be fixed without defadvice and hooks
and so on.  and i still have a whole bunch of issues like this that
after many years i still have not been able to fix.

===

canonical = "what i can in principle reproduce with tab and arrows".

showing only the first child [for example] CANNOT be produced with tab
and arrows, ergo it is not canonical.  try it and see -- you can't
make org hide the remaining children.

the problem is that there is no variable in org that specifies to org
"i don't like that behavior or any behavior like that behavior".
[this is only one of several examples where there are strange ellipses
and strange sparse-tree-like hiding.]

===

so i am saying a variable that says "i only ever want canonical
visibility" would be a great idea.

@ 2014-03-21 23:52                         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-21 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

I think I see what you mean but it's hard to implement.

The only way to fix this is to discuss the default value for
org-show-* properties (and maybe some others) -- if you have
suggestions here with examples on how different defaults would
be less confusing, let's discuss this specifically.

In the meantime, relevant hooks may be difficult to explore
but we fix this by replying to questions here and but adding
information in the manual when needed -- doc bug reports and
patches are welcome.  Or even better, a tutorial exploring
all things relating to "visibility and revealing" in Org.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
@ 2014-03-31  5:43                           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-31  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Dan LaManna

On 3/21/14, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> I think I see what you mean but it's hard to implement.

why?

> The only way to fix this is to discuss the default value for
> org-show-* properties (and maybe some others) -- if you have
> suggestions here with examples on how different defaults would
> be less confusing, let's discuss this specifically.

changing the default settings will not fix anything, afaik.

not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

[btw, i always get this:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

     bzg@altern.org

Technical details of permanent failure:"]