* [BUG] org-agenda-skip-*-if-* variables change log mode
@ 2018-12-23  0:22 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2018-12-23  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

at least i /think/ this is a bug.

i like to set log mode to show everything.  i also go to
previous dates to find out what i did.

however, the skip variables can change log mode.

===

consider org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done.  showing is
useful for "what was doneified at an unspecified date but
was first scheduled today or on that day".

it is not intended for "what you did today or on that day".

in my case, the latter is useful, but the former is not.

===

if you have it set to the default of nil, and have log mode
on, it will redundantly show a closed non-timed scheduled in
both the timed section as a closed log mode item, and in the
non-timed section.

thus it is tempting to set it to t to remove the redundancy.

===

but if you do that, YOU ARE ALSO REMOVING ITEMS FROM LOG
MODE.  (note: untested in -Q.)

assuming log mode is set to show closed tasks:

- if it was UNSCHEDULED and done, it will show in log mode.
- if it was SCHEDULED and done, it will not show in log mode.

this absence might get lost.  you might notice closed tasks,
and not notice that you turned off scheduled tasks.

===

i doubt that many want to skip scheduled done tasks in log
mode, especially when unscheduled done tasks show.

imagine a user with a "memacs type mindset".  he or she
would probably be surprised that this variable omits items
from log mode.

it seems impossible to skip without also affecting log mode.

my suggested fix is a new or changed non-nil value to skip without
changing log mode.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.

* Re: [BUG] org-agenda-skip-*-if-* variables change log mode
@ 2018-12-31 20:48 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2018-12-31 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/22/18, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> at least i /think/ this is a bug.

[what i mean is, as opposed to there already being a fix, or it being
an intentional feature.  i am pretty sure it is a bug: you either have
stuff you don't need in the agenda, or you have a broken log mode.]

but i'm wondering if my emails are reaching the list.

@ 2019-01-01 16:48   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-01-01 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 12/22/18, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> at least i /think/ this is a bug.
>
> [what i mean is, as opposed to there already being a fix, or it being
> an intentional feature.  i am pretty sure it is a bug: you either have
> stuff you don't need in the agenda, or you have a broken log mode.]
>
> but i'm wondering if my emails are reaching the list.

They do.

For the record, I will not try to fix that bug. Someone else may do,
though.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [BUG] org-agenda-skip-*-if-* variables change log mode
@ 2019-01-01 22:05     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2019-01-01 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, emacs-orgmode

On 1/1/19, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>> stuff you don't need in the agenda, or you have a broken log mode.]
>>
>> but i'm wondering if my emails are reaching the list.
>
> They do.
>
> For the record, I will not try to fix that bug. Someone else may do,
> though.
>
> Regards,

thank you for responding and confirming.

probably a lot of people turn those variables on, to create a clean
agenda.  scheduled doneish tasks are likely to be significantly fewer
than all timestamps, so the incompleteness of the log might go
unnoticed for years.

you are, of course, not required to fix any bug.  i appreciate the
work you do on org.