* Testing master branch
@ 2018-04-29  9:08 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2018-04-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I intend to update and track the master branch git repo changes daily in
order to identify problems as early as possible.

Does it matter if I compile or not for this?

Normally I do:

    git pull
    make
    and restart emacs every morning

Can I do make uncompiled instead and skip the restart?

What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: Testing master branch
@ 2018-04-29  9:27 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-04-29  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen writes:
> I intend to update and track the master branch git repo changes daily in
> order to identify problems as early as possible.
>
> Does it matter if I compile or not for this?
>
> Normally I do:
>
>     git pull
>     make
>     and restart emacs every morning
>
> Can I do make uncompiled instead and skip the restart?

I fail to see how the two are related, unless you are talking about
compiling a new Emacs every morning.

> What do you recommend?

make up2

Then re-load org in your running Emacs session or restart Emacs as you
wish.  Note that the up2 target does not install anything if any of the
tests failed.  If you want to live dangerously, skip the tests and
install whatever you've got, use the update2 target.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Testing master branch
@ 2018-04-29 10:11 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2018-04-29 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I intend to update and track the master branch git repo changes daily in
> order to identify problems as early as possible.
>
> Does it matter if I compile or not for this?
>
> Normally I do:
>
>     git pull
>     make
>     and restart emacs every morning
>
> Can I do make uncompiled instead and skip the restart?
>
> What do you recommend?

I always rebuild (with "make" or "make test") followed by org-reload
(C-c C-x !).

Possibly the rebuild can be omitted if you configure variable
`load-prefer-newer' to t.

Further I recommend to always power off to save energy.

Best regards
            Marco

* Re: Testing master branch
@ 2018-04-29 22:24   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2018-04-29 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bernt Hansen writes:
>> I intend to update and track the master branch git repo changes daily in
>> order to identify problems as early as possible.
>>
>> Does it matter if I compile or not for this?
>>
>> Normally I do:
>>
>>     git pull
>>     make
>>     and restart emacs every morning
>>
>> Can I do make uncompiled instead and skip the restart?
>
> I fail to see how the two are related, unless you are talking about
> compiling a new Emacs every morning.

Hi Achim,

I use a pre-canned Emacs for windows at work so I am not ever compiling
emacs -- only the org-mode elisp code using the org-mode makefile after
updating with the latest changes.

I haven't been tracking the development branch of org-mode in about 3
years so I completely forgot about the org-reload function!  Using
org-reload is what I meant by 'restart'.  I had been restarting emacs to
use the latest compiled version of org-mode since starting to track the
master branch a week or two ago when I upgraded from version 8.3.

>> What do you recommend?
>
> make up2
>
> Then re-load org in your running Emacs session or restart Emacs as you
> wish.  Note that the up2 target does not install anything if any of the
> tests failed.  If you want to live dangerously, skip the tests and
> install whatever you've got, use the update2 target.

Living dangerously with my live org files at work doesn't sound like a
smart thing to do at this point :)

I'll try make-up2 and org-reload.

Thanks!
Bernt

* Re: Testing master branch
@ 2018-04-29 22:33   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2018-04-29 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Can I do make uncompiled instead and skip the restart?
>>
>> What do you recommend?
>
> I always rebuild (with "make" or "make test") followed by org-reload
> (C-c C-x !).
>
> Possibly the rebuild can be omitted if you configure variable
> `load-prefer-newer' to t.
>
> Further I recommend to always power off to save energy.

Thanks Marco!

I was not aware of load-prefer-newer and will check it out.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Testing master branch
@ 2018-04-29 23:39     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2018-04-29 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Marco Wahl, emacs-orgmode

fwiw i use make oldorg from the shell and restart emacs.  never
trusted loading from emacs, but i guess it works.  the interesting
thing is that restarting emacs is necessary as keybindings immediately
change.  odd that all i did was run something from shell, and didn't
afaik do anything inside emacs that loaded anything.

as for testing master, i always compare vanilla maint to master using
my usual + test cases 2d agenda run for speed [critical -- bottleneck]
and bugs.  9master fixes a minor bug where tags in 9maint are not
indented and does not introduce.  speed has not worsened significantly
between 9maint and 9master.

in general speed has been worsening slightly and slowly over time
[ilke over 6mo it's one percent or so], with variations, which is a
concern for long term, not short term.