* 'Missing' link to the release notes on the homepage
@ 2011-12-16 13:36 Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2011-12-16 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bastien, dear all,

Congratulations on the new release and the new homepage!  Some quick
feedback about the new homepage:

I would have expected a link to the release notes from the following
text on http://orgmode.org/org-mode-news.html:

> Latest news
>     2011-12-12 Release 7.8, 7.8.01 and 7.8.02.

I know that the release notes exist, and that they are linked from the
"download" page, but the latter is simply not the only place where I'd
expect them.

Overall I like the new homepage design.  Just a minor issue, which, I
think (didn't read the whole thread, just searched for the issue),
hasn't been mentioned so far:

One problematic side-effect of the fixed head bar, at least in Firefox
and Opera, is that is impairs page-wise scrolling.  When I hit "page
down", some lines of text (as much as the height of the head bar) is
skipped.  If you are lucky enough to _notice_ that, you have to manually
work around by scrolling the page a few lines up again. – But I have no
idea for fixing, other than un-fixing the head bar – which you may find
undesirable for other reasons.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange, http://www.facebook.com/ch.lange, Skype duke4701

* Re: 'Missing' link to the release notes on the homepage
@ 2011-12-17 13:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-17 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christoph,

Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de> writes:

> I would have expected a link to the release notes from the following text
> on http://orgmode.org/org-mode-news.html:
>
>> Latest news
>>     2011-12-12 Release 7.8, 7.8.01 and 7.8.02.

You're right, I added a link in the first item of this list,
thanks for suggesting it.

> One problematic side-effect of the fixed head bar, at least in Firefox and
> Opera, is that is impairs page-wise scrolling.  When I hit "page down",
> some lines of text (as much as the height of the head bar) is skipped.  If
> you are lucky enough to _notice_ that, you have to manually work around by
> scrolling the page a few lines up again. – But I have no idea for fixing,
> other than un-fixing the head bar – which you may find undesirable for
> other reasons.

Getting rid of the fixed elements is not that difficult.

If people overall think this would be best, I would have
no objection.

Can someone provide a patch to this effect so that we can
test?

 Bastien

* Re: 'Missing' link to the release notes on the homepage
@ 2011-12-17 20:38   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-12-17 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-12-17, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de> writes:
>> One problematic side-effect of the fixed head bar, at least in Firefox and
>> Opera, is that is impairs page-wise scrolling.  When I hit "page down",
>> some lines of text (as much as the height of the head bar) is skipped.  If
>> you are lucky enough to _notice_ that, you have to manually work around by
>> scrolling the page a few lines up again. – But I have no idea for fixing,
>> other than un-fixing the head bar – which you may find undesirable for
>> other reasons.

Just to be clear, this is the same as what I reported, so fixing one
fixes the other.  (Note: I don't use the Org site much, so it's a
consideration for those who do and for newcomers.)

Samuel

===
Bigotry against people with serious diseases is still bigotry.