* ascii fill column ignored
@ 2013-10-17  3:05 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-10-17  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

(setq org-ascii-text-width 60)
(org-export-to-buffer 'ascii "whatever.txt" nil t nil)

Anything with footnotes is filled to 75.

Thanks.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: ascii fill column ignored
@ 2013-10-17 10:06 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-10-17 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> (setq org-ascii-text-width 60)
> (org-export-to-buffer 'ascii "whatever.txt" nil t nil)
>
> Anything with footnotes is filled to 75.

I cannot reproduce it with the following buffer:

#+BIND: org-ascii-text-width 60

* Subtree

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enimad
minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut
aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in[fn:1]
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non
proident[fn:inline:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing
elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna
aliqua. Ut enimad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco
laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor
in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in
culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.], sunt in culpa
qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed
do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut
enimad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut
aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in
culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Could you provide an ECM?

Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: ascii fill column ignored
@ 2013-10-17 19:36   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-10-17 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Could you provide an ECM?

===
***** (let ((org-export-preserve-breaks t)) (org-export-to-buffer
'ascii "whatever.txt" nil t nil))
These are directed against a population of sick people (or
people who are likely to get sick), specifically.[fn::
Please note that the population is defined by the goals of
the perpetrators.

Example: in Action T4, some disabled taking hospital beds
were targeted while some disabled returning soldiers were
glorified.]

Sometimes the group finds itself singled out, dehumanized,
or framed as a threat to society, and can't figure out why.
===

@ 2013-10-17 19:40     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-10-17 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Or this as I had my (much needed) paragraphs in footnotes before.

===
***** (let ((org-export-preserve-breaks t)) (org-export-to-buffer
'ascii "whatever.txt" nil t nil))
lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem
ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum
dolor[fn:: fn.]

@ 2013-10-17 20:01       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-10-17 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> ***** (let ((org-export-preserve-breaks t)) (org-export-to-buffer
> 'ascii "whatever.txt" nil t nil))

According to `org-export-preserve-breaks' docstring:

  Non-nil means preserve all line breaks when exporting.

As a consequence, this variable also prevents filling. Therefore,
`org-ascii-text-width' has no effect in this case. If you absolutely
need both, use \\ at end of lines instead.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: ascii fill column ignored
@ 2013-10-17 20:25         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-10-17 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Take a look at the first line in both test cases.  It gets longer.

I'm OK with not filling such lines.  But if it is going to fill or
otherwise change the lines, IMO it should do so according to the
correct fill column.

@ 2013-10-17 20:44           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-10-17 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I narrowed it down to this, so it isn't in default Org.

I rely on being able to put paragraphs in inline footnotes as they
were in Org 7.  This implements that (and I rely on the fact that it
works well with font lock too).  However, for some reason it triggers
the bug.

      ;; from author of new exporter, with extra \
      ;; (setq org-export-before-parsing-hook nil)
      (add-hook 'org-export-before-parsing-hook
'hoka-org-export-par-in-inline-fn)
      ;; (remove-hook 'org-export-before-parsing-hook
'hoka-org-export-par-in-inline-fn)
      (defun hoka-org-export-par-in-inline-fn (backend)
        "Fix inline footnote paragraphs to work."
        (unless (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
          (org-footnote-normalize)
          ;; =alpha i guess it sticks \par in there for you
          (while (re-search-forward "\\\\par\\s-*" nil t)
            (replace-match "\n\n"))))