* environmental variables in links in org
@ 2015-11-05 11:16 Zhihao Ding
From: Zhihao Ding @ 2015-11-05 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi guys,

Is it a good idea to use environment variables in the links referenced in a
org file?  e.g.

[[$mydata/myfigure.pdf]]

If so how to achieve this?

Many thanks,
Zhihao

* Re: environmental variables in links in org
@ 2015-11-15 14:03 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-11-15 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhihao Ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Zhihao Ding <zhihao.ding@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a good idea to use environment variables in the links referenced in a
> org file?  e.g.
>
> [[$mydata/myfigure.pdf]]

How do you want Org to behave when the user clicks the link?

> If so how to achieve this?

I would try in-line source blocks.

* Re: environmental variables in links in org
@ 2015-11-16 11:38   ` Zhihao Ding
From: Zhihao Ding @ 2015-11-16 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks for your reply. I found controlling the environment outside org is
much better and stopped thinking this direction.

Cheers,
Zhihao

On 15 November 2015 at 14:03, Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Zhihao Ding <zhihao.ding@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it a good idea to use environment variables in the links referenced
> in a
> > org file?  e.g.
> >
> > [[$mydata/myfigure.pdf]]
>
> How do you want Org to behave when the user clicks the link?
>
> > If so how to achieve this?
>
> I would try in-line source blocks.

Zhihao Ding

* Re: environmental variables in links in org
@ 2015-11-16 18:14 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-11-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhihao Ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/5/15, Zhihao Ding <zhihao.ding@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a good idea to use environment variables in the links referenced in a
> org file?  e.g.

imo yes.

> [[$mydata/myfigure.pdf]]
>
> If so how to achieve this?