* TAB cycling doesn't work from end of line
@ 2013-04-08 14:12 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-04-08 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I bet this has been asked before and I just didn't see it... anyway,
I'm wondering if that was intentional that TAB visibility cycling
doesn't do anything if the insertion point is after the ellipses
indicating folded content.

** Example header...
^1   ^2          ^3 ^4

If the point is at locations 1, 2 or 3, TAB will reveal the next level
of children. (The ^ locations will make sense if you format the e-mail
using a monospace font. A proportional font will just look
nonsensical.)

** Example header
*** Child node

If it's at location 4, TAB cycling does nothing.

It's a minor point, but somehow when I'm moving the pointer around in
Emacs, quite often it ends up at the end of a displayed line, and then
I have to remember to take an extra step to make sure TAB does what
it's supposed to do.

I'll grant, there could be a good reason for the behavior, but I think
it's reasonable to expect TAB to expand a heading if the point is
anywhere on the line (including at the end).

hjh

* Re: TAB cycling doesn't work from end of line
@ 2013-04-09 16:54 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-09 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: jamshark70, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi James,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> ** Example header...
> ^1   ^2          ^3 ^4
>
> If the point is at locations 1, 2 or 3, TAB will reveal the next level
> of children. (The ^ locations will make sense if you format the e-mail
> using a monospace font. A proportional font will just look
> nonsensical.)
>
> ** Example header
> *** Child node
>
> If it's at location 4, TAB cycling does nothing.

Because with ^1 ^2 ^3 the point is on a headline, while with ^4 it is
not on a headline, it is after the folded part of the buffer (and you
usually don't know exactly where it is.)

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: TAB cycling doesn't work from end of line
@ 2013-04-09 17:06   ` Dieter Wilhelm, H.
From: Dieter Wilhelm, H. @ 2013-04-09 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: James Harkins, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, jamshark70

2013/4/9 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>:
> Hi James,
>
> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ** Example header...
>> ^1   ^2          ^3 ^4
>>
>> If the point is at locations 1, 2 or 3, TAB will reveal the next level
>> of children. (The ^ locations will make sense if you format the e-mail
>> using a monospace font. A proportional font will just look
>> nonsensical.)
>>
>> ** Example header
>> *** Child node
>>
>> If it's at location 4, TAB cycling does nothing.
>
> Because with ^1 ^2 ^3 the point is on a headline, while with ^4 it is
> not on a headline, it is after the folded part of the buffer (and you
> usually don't know exactly where it is.)

May I rephrase it:  For this little gain there is too much pain (i.e.
too hard to implement)?
Thanks for the explanation, I can live without it. 8-)
--
  Dieter

* Re: TAB cycling doesn't work from end of line
@ 2015-04-27  1:54 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-04-27  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

i think maybe somebody patched this?

one more similar thing.  if the headline is folded, and point is
somewhere not in the headline, m-right etc. don't work.  this is
common when you yank folded, i think.