* Change default value of org-refile-use-outline-path?
@ 2018-11-22 17:42 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-11-22 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen

Hello,

I wonder if there'd be any interest in changing the default value of
`org-refile-use-outline-path' to something other than nil? I can't
imagine the nil default would be anyone's preference (at least not
anyone with more than a handful of headings in a single file). How about
'file as a more user-friendly default?

Eric

* Re: Change default value of org-refile-use-outline-path?
@ 2018-11-22 18:11 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-11-22 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, emacs-orgmode

    > Hello, I wonder if there'd be any interest in changing the default
    > value of `org-refile-use-outline-path' to something other than
    > nil? I can't imagine the nil default would be anyone's preference
    > (at least not anyone with more than a handful of headings in a
    > single file). How about 'file as a more user-friendly default?

    > Eric

Please don't change default values. Users cam always customise the
variable - I have it set to `file'.

* Re: Change default value of org-refile-use-outline-path?
@ 2018-11-23 13:03   ` Thomas Shannon
From: Thomas Shannon @ 2018-11-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I totally understand this point of view.  But I have to tell you that I found the refile command to be totally useless when I first started using org-mode.  It was almost a year before I figured out that this variable had to be customized to make it useful.

Yes, this is totally my fault for not reading the manual.  But there was a lot to learn and it was a long time before I got around to reading that section.  Once I tried it and it didn’t do anything I really wanted it to do, it fell off my radar as I concentrated on other things.  I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Tom S.

@ 2018-11-23 21:16 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2018-11-23 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, emacs-orgmode

i will be ok with whatever anybody decides about the default, but fwiw
i use nil, which is the default in maint.