* Bug: org-refile, org-archive-subtree and footnotes [8.3.6 (8.3.6-4-g4835be-elpaplus @ /home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160926/)]
@ 2016-09-28 16:13 Jorge
From: Jorge @ 2016-09-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Start Emacs with an empty init file and make the following customizations:

- org-log-refile :: 'time
- org-refile-targets :: (("/tmp/b.org" :maxlevel . 1))
- org-refile-use-outline-path :: 'file

Create an Org buffer named a.org with the following content:
* My pets
** Rex
   Given to me by Theresa.[fn:1]
* Footnotes

[fn:1] A work colleague.

Create an Org file named /tmp/b.org with the following content:
* Her pets

In buffer a.org, with point in Rex, type:
C-c C-w b.org/Her pets/ <RET>
M-x org-lint

org-lint complains:
     4 high  No reference for footnote definition [fn:1]

A similar problem occurs if the entry is archived with org-archive-subtree.  I
expected Org to automatically detect the footnote inconsistency, without me
manually invoking org-lint.  Even better would be to fix it, e.g. offer to move
the footnote definition if there are no other references in the current buffer.

Now move to the Footnotes section and refile it to b.org (top level).
Then on b.org invoke M-x org-lint.  It complains:
     5 high  Extraneous elements in footnote section
I expected either org-refile to omit the timestamp when refiling the footnotes
section (to placate org-lint) or org-lint not to complain about the timestamp.

Thank you.  Regards.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-09-18
Package: Org-mode version 8.3.6 (8.3.6-4-g4835be-elpaplus @
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160926/)

current state:
==============
(setq
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe
     org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
     org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook
 org-babel-speed-command-hook)
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
 org-html-format-drawer-function '(lambda (name contents)
  contents)
 org-latex-format-inlinetask-function
'org-latex-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-ascii-format-inlinetask-function 'org-ascii-format-inlinetask-default
 org-latex-format-headline-function 'org-latex-format-headline-default-function
 org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
 org-latex-format-drawer-function '(lambda (name contents)
   contents)
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
    org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
 org-mode-hook '(#[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
  [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook
   org-show-block-all append local]
  5]
#[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
  [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook
   org-babel-show-result-all append local]
  5]
org-babel-result-hide-spec
org-babel-hide-all-hashes org-eldoc-load)
 org-refile-targets '(("/tmp/b.org" :maxlevel . 1))
 org-archive-hook '(org-attach-archive-delete-maybe)
 org-ascii-format-drawer-function '(lambda
   (name contents width)
   contents)
 org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point
 org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)
 org-refile-use-outline-path 'file
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees
 org-cycle-hide-drawers
 org-cycle-show-empty-lines
 org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
 org-log-refile 'time
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
 org-html-format-headline-function 'org-html-format-headline-default-function
 org-html-format-inlinetask-function
'org-html-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
 )

--
• I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome corrections.
• Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.

* Re: Bug: org-refile, org-archive-subtree and footnotes [8.3.6 (8.3.6-4-g4835be-elpaplus @ /home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160926/)]
  2016-09-28 16:13 Bug: org-refile, org-archive-subtree and footnotes [8.3.6 (8.3.6-4-g4835be-elpaplus @ /home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160926/)] Jorge
@ 2016-10-04 15:08 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-10-04 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge; +Cc: org mode

Hello,

Jorge <jorge13515@gmail.com> writes:

> Start Emacs with an empty init file and make the following customizations:
>
> - org-log-refile :: 'time
> - org-refile-targets :: (("/tmp/b.org" :maxlevel . 1))
> - org-refile-use-outline-path :: 'file
>
> Create an Org buffer named a.org with the following content:
>
> * My pets
> ** Rex
>    Given to me by Theresa.[fn:1]
> * Footnotes
>
> [fn:1] A work colleague.
>

> Create an Org file named /tmp/b.org with the following content:
>
> * Her pets
>
> In buffer a.org, with point in Rex, type:
> C-c C-w b.org/Her pets/ <RET>
> M-x org-lint
>
> org-lint complains:
>      4 high  No reference for footnote definition [fn:1]
>
> A similar problem occurs if the entry is archived with org-archive-subtree.  I
> expected Org to automatically detect the footnote inconsistency, without me
> manually invoking org-lint.  Even better would be to fix it, e.g. offer to move
> the footnote definition if there are no other references in the
> current buffer.

Indeed, this is annoying. I do not like much automation, but, in this
case, the problem is difficult to detect, and solve, manually.
Therefore, we should do better.

Besides, we already do something similar when including files in
a document prior to exporting it (we collect included footnotes and make
sure they do not conflict with existing ones in the target document).
So, it may be only a matter of refactoring code.

However, I'd like to keep for after Org 9.0 release.

BTW, would you want to provide a patch?

> Now move to the Footnotes section and refile it to b.org (top level).
> Then on b.org invoke M-x org-lint.  It complains:
>      5 high  Extraneous elements in footnote section
> I expected either org-refile to omit the timestamp when refiling the footnotes
> section (to placate org-lint) or org-lint not to complain about the
> timestamp.

This is a minor issue we shouldn't bother about. Lint just tells you
some parts of the Footnotes section will not be exported. Just ignore
it.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2016-10-04 18:05   ` Jorge
From: Jorge @ 2016-10-04 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

On 4 October 2016 at 12:08, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> BTW, would you want to provide a patch?
I'm sorry, but I am overloaded.  Besides, I know very little Elisp; for
example, only in the last few weeks did I learn about backquote constructs.
Furthermore, I am a very slow programmer even in C, C++ or Python, with which I
have more experience.

>> Now move to the Footnotes section and refile it to b.org (top level).
>> Then on b.org invoke M-x org-lint.  It complains:
>>      5 high  Extraneous elements in footnote section
>> I expected either org-refile to omit the timestamp when refiling the footnotes
>> section (to placate org-lint) or org-lint not to complain about the
>> timestamp.
>
> This is a minor issue we shouldn't bother about. Lint just tells you
> some parts of the Footnotes section will not be exported. Just ignore
> it.
The lint message can make an inexperienced user think there is something wrong
(I did), and he could waste time investigating the issue or manually removing
the extraneous elements (thinking they are prejudicial).  Perhaps the message
could be reworded.  Maybe

      Extraneous elements, which are ignored when exporting, in footnote
      section.

--

@ 2016-10-05  9:44     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-10-05  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge; +Cc: org mode

Hello,

Jorge <jorge13515@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4 October 2016 at 12:08, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>> BTW, would you want to provide a patch?
> I'm sorry, but I am overloaded.  Besides, I know very little Elisp; for
> example, only in the last few weeks did I learn about backquote constructs.
> Furthermore, I am a very slow programmer even in C, C++ or Python, with which I
> have more experience.

OK. I add it to my TODO list.

> The lint message can make an inexperienced user think there is something wrong
> (I did), and he could waste time investigating the issue or manually removing
> the extraneous elements (thinking they are prejudicial).  Perhaps the message
> could be reworded.  Maybe
>
>       Extraneous elements, which are ignored when exporting, in footnote
>       section.

OOC, could you show the footnote section triggering this warning? Org
Lint ignores property drawers there (i.e., it shouldn't raise an error),
so I'm wondering how is inserted this timestamp.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2016-10-05 11:24       ` Jorge Morais Neto
From: Jorge Morais Neto @ 2016-10-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

On 5 October 2016 at 06:44, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> OOC, could you show the footnote section triggering this warning? Org
> Lint ignores property drawers there (i.e., it shouldn't raise an error),
> so I'm wondering how is inserted this timestamp.

I don't understand.  Have I not already given an example in the original email?

--

@ 2016-10-05 22:24         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-10-05 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge Morais Neto; +Cc: org mode

Jorge Morais Neto <jorge13515@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5 October 2016 at 06:44, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>>
>> OOC, could you show the footnote section triggering this warning? Org
>> Lint ignores property drawers there (i.e., it shouldn't raise an error),
>> so I'm wondering how is inserted this timestamp.
>
> I don't understand.  Have I not already given an example in the
> original email?

You gave a recipe to reproduce the example. I was being lazy and
expected the complete (final) example. Anyway, I did my homework.

This should be fixed: the message is slightly less frightening now.

@ 2016-10-05 23:51           ` Jorge Morais Neto
From: Jorge Morais Neto @ 2016-10-05 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

On 5 October 2016 at 19:24, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> You gave a recipe to reproduce the example. I was being lazy and
> expected the complete (final) example. Anyway, I did my homework.
>
> This should be fixed: the message is slightly less frightening now.
>
> Regards,

Thank you!  Regards